Should the UK be In or Out of Europe?

In
Out
Shake it all about
d)
Topic: This Europe Stuff (Read 97501 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: This Europe Stuff

Reply #3270
We ratified the European Convention on Human Rights in 1951. It came into effect in 1953. That's before we joined the EU. We'll still be signed up to it after we leave. Human Rights have got f*ck all to do with being in the EU.

Which of the rights here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Convention_on_Human_Rights do you want to give up?

Churchill liked the idea of the ECHR. The UK was instrumental in its creation. We have nearly always had a judge on the Court. It is not the same thing as the EU.

I think we have explained all of this to Donny before, but if someone doesn't want to listen....

Reply #3271
Paper talk that some sort of agreement on the Irish border thing is imminent, allowing talks to progress to the next stage.

I'm skeptical. Nothing has ever been simple when it comes to Ireland/NI and borders, so if this is true I can only assume there is some sort of uneasy deal to allow the process to proceed, but I suspect it will come back and bite them before the process is finished.

And I still can't believe David Davis is still in a job
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #3272
Paper talk that some sort of agreement on the Irish border thing is imminent, allowing talks to progress to the next stage.

I'm skeptical. Nothing has ever been simple when it comes to Ireland/NI and borders, so if this is true I can only assume there is some sort of uneasy deal to allow the process to proceed, but I suspect it will come back and bite them before the process is finished.

And I still can't believe David Davis is still in a job

It seems that, absent any other agreement, we've agreed to take all the rules of the single market and customs union without being in either. Which would be worse than the Norway option as they are at least consulted on the rules.

Reply #3273
Why would any safe person think that makes any sort of sense for us?

I know let's actually conform to all European rules, get none of the benefits, but tell the morons that we've got out county back. It might cost us 25% of our economy and future trade and prosperity, but it's well worth it for little more than a form of words.

Surely not possible?

Utter, utter, c*nts.

Reply #3274
It seems that, absent any other agreement, we've agreed to take all the rules of the single market and customs union without being in either. Which would be worse than the Norway option as they are at least consulted on the rules.

And we are going to pay for it!

Clearly, 'no deal' was thought to be worse than anything else. There is a surprise.

Reply #3275
And we are going to pay for it!

Clearly, 'no deal' was thought to be worse than anything else. There is a surprise.

Of course, the interesting thing about "no deal is better than a bad deal" is that the government has now admitted/claimed that it hasn't and hadn't done any impact assessments. So it was pure dogma.

Reply #3276
Yes, and also the 'absent any other agreement' bit. So 'no deal' was never going to happen, despite the fact they were threatening it.

These people are SO good at negotiating.

Reply #3277
Yes, and also the 'absent any other agreement' bit. So 'no deal' was never going to happen, despite the fact they were threatening it.

These people are SO good at negotiating.

Hey! They got a good nine months of blustering in before they gave in to everything the EU wanted.  What more did you want?

Reply #3278
In today's agreement is this pearler:

“In the absence of agreed solutions, the United Kingdom will maintain full alignment with those rules of the internal market and the customs union.”

Yay! Well done Donny and RichB! We are going to to abide by all those rules you hate. And that caveat of "in the absence of agreed solutions"? Never going to happen. It's just not in their interest.

Well f*cking done.

Reply #3279
Ridiculous and ridiculously delayed it is, at least there is a deal and it's less likely that we'll crash out catastrophically. And that's a good thing.

(Although it's also less likely that the whole thing will be called off as a bad idea. And that's a bad thing.)

Reply #3280
In today's agreement is this pearler:

“In the absence of agreed solutions, the United Kingdom will maintain full alignment with those rules of the internal market and the customs union.”

Yay! Well done Donny and RichB! We are going to to abide by all those rules you hate. And that caveat of "in the absence of agreed solutions"? Never going to happen. It's just not in their interest.

Well f*cking done.
your being a bit silly here Rich. Millions voted out, in fact a majority not just two Forest supporters.

Reply #3281
your being a bit silly here Rich. Millions voted out, in fact a majority not just two Forest supporters.
That's not out Donny. It's in, with less influence and much less economic prosperity.

Reply #3282
Yes , but it's WINNING.

Reply #3283
That's not out Donny. It's in, with less influence and much less economic prosperity.
I voted for what I believed in, I agree it's looking like a messy split. However I still do not believe in a United States Of Europe.

Reply #3284
I voted for what I believed in, I agree it's looking like a messy split. However I still do not believe in a United States Of Europe.

But what you believe in can't be achieved and what you will end up with will be what you don't want, and with less control.