Skip to main content

Poll

Should the UK be In or Out of Europe?

In
Out
Shake it all about
d)
Topic: This Europe Stuff (Read 406169 times) previous topic - next topic
tricky and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: This Europe Stuff

Reply #11491
I've heard a few rumblings from political commentators (yeah, i know) that now he has a large majority, Boris can jettison the ERG and go soft brexit, basically what Labour would have aimed for. I don't personally believe atm that will happen, but if it did,
1. How would that affect the WA
2. How would those that support a harder leave feel about it?

Reply #11492
I've heard a few rumblings from political commentators (yeah, i know) that now he has a large majority, Boris can jettison the ERG and go soft brexit, basically what Labour would have aimed for. I don't personally believe atm that will happen, but if it did,
1. How would that affect the WA
2. How would those that support a harder leave feel about it?

His WA will now pass, that’s guaranteed. It’s the future relationship that’s up for grabs.

Reply #11493
This, I know; my point was more geared towards the WA effectively puts a border down the Irish Sea; If there is some sort of CU/SM in the future arrangement, would it override the WA and rejoin NI to GB, or be parallel to it? I know I've worded that badly...

Reply #11494
Thread is over. Brexit is happening. No point debating it.

Reply #11497
Seriously though, do you guys really still have the energy to debate the detail? It's all over. What will be will be.

Reply #11498
What? The labour party? Politics? The impact on the country? Life?

That's just idiotic fanboy 'winning' mentality. Nothing is over. It's just beginning. Go tell citizens of this country that have been here for decades, being deprived their housing, healthcare, and even place in the country, it's over. Tell the people who didn't stop being poor and hungry, that it's over. Tell those who can't access support and mental health services it's over.

This sh!tshow is far from over, and if you are interested in anything other than supporting winning teams, and carving a life for yourself while you're at it, you'd better start getting involved. 

It's all going to get a lot tougher now there is a mandate to start depriving us all of things we have taken for granted. Not a good time to knock off to pipe and slippers land.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #11499
Quite. We are leaving the EU. So now the battle is on to rejoin. It's not a short term project, more like in the 7 - 10 year window. But the argument to rejoin will soon gather momentum* when people realise how sh!t it's going to be as not part of the EU.

*Nothing to do with 'that' Momentum. They can still f*ck the f*ck off.

Reply #11500
Quite. We are leaving the EU. So now the battle is on to rejoin. It's not a short term project, more like in the 7 - 10 year window. But the argument to rejoin will soon gather momentum* when people realise how sh!t it's going to be as not part of the EU.

*Nothing to do with 'that' Momentum. They can still f*ck the f*ck off.

Reading Dunt I see.

I agree.

Reply #11501
I'm not sure that campaigning for a return to the EU is going to be a productive use of energy in the short term, and there's a danger that it keeps the debate polarised and let's the Johnson off the hook.

I'd be shifting energy to looking at accountability and scrutiny. Getting the security report published. Holding to account the promises versus the delivery.

Practically membership of the EU is just about resolved for decades. I do not expect us back at the top table with world leaders again in my lifetime. It will take that long to get damaged demonstrably so that people want profound change, and reverse the propoganda efforts of decades.

That journey could literally not be starting from a worse place. I shall be handing that battle off to my children and their children. I won't be seeing the upside.

My energy will be in going to help a number of them on a personal level, if I can.

Reply #11502
So basically you agree with me that there's no point banging on about remaining in the EU any more?

I was a remainer btw, but agree there are better ways to use my energy now.

Reply #11503
"It's over." Isn't really a description of future strategy, is it? Thanks to the opposition, not opposing, and lapping up every opportunity to kick themselves in the bollocks, there's absolutely nothing we can to do stop Vlad's recently reconstructed extremist nutters from doing whatever they want. For at least five, maybe ten years. That's just mathematics.

That's far from it being over. No point fighting the mathematics. What needs to be concentrated on is keeping them to the law, preserving the institutions, and at least making sure the country understand what they are doing and the implications to them.

So eventually the country will choose to recover.

Taking more than my lifetime, to get back to the status we had, if we ever do (doubtful), and having to fight every step of the way to avoid irreversible harm, is some distance from "It's over."

Reply #11504
It's never over. The Tories have a huge majority, but it won't stop me opposing them at every opportunity. Once we're into the New Year I start my local election campaign. Hopefully once the locals come around, we'll have a new leader who won't be a total dead weight. Of course, I'm sure everyone will be delighted to have some politics going on...