Skip to main content
Topic: What's pleasing me today (Read 331278 times) previous topic - next topic
dj bobbins and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: What's pleasing me today

Reply #5550
Haven't used R for about 25 years. I used it at university for econometrics. Back in those days it was all very much command line; no Windows environment. It was great for modelling economies, but probably a little too deep for my current needs.

Most recent thing I've used it for is to automate extraction of ship locations and associated metadata from a Postgres DB (that I run), make some nice maps and charts from the data, then send them in an email to clients. It's like a warning system. "Err, you realise your ship is in the path of a tornado right?"

Reply #5551
Yeah, I want to avoid .net if I can.  I'm going to need something that allows me to apply strong security protocols due to the sensitivity of data, along with a decent object environment so that non-techies can use it. The non-techue bit is where my problem lies; stuff that is simple to me makes no sense to many others. I know how to build the fancy containers and sh!t in .net, but haven't tried in any other languages.
Believe rust is more strongly typed to help avoid faulty/exploitable code. Consequently less efficient (the c/pascal conundrum).  I have zero real experience of it, except using stuff written in it.
Memory safety

Rust is designed to be memory safe, and thus it does not permit null pointers, dangling pointers, or data races in safe code.[27][28][29] Data values can only be initialized through a fixed set of forms, all of which require their inputs to be already initialized.[30] To replicate the function in other languages of pointers being either valid or NULL, such as in linked list or binary tree data structures, the Rust core library provides an option type, which can be used to test whether a pointer has Some value or None.[28] Rust also introduces added syntax to manage lifetimes, and the compiler reasons about these through its borrow checker. Unsafe code which can subvert some of these restrictions may be written using the language's unsafe keyword.[31]

Memory management

Rust does not use an automated garbage collection system like those used by Go, Java, or the .NET Framework and does not use Automatic Reference Counting used by languages like Swift and Objective-C. Instead, memory and other resources are managed through the resource acquisition is initialization (RAII) convention, with optional reference counting. Rust provides deterministic management of resources, with very low overhead.[citation needed] Rust also favors stack allocation of values and does not perform implicit boxing.

There is also a concept of references (using the & symbol), which do not involve run-time reference counting. The safety of using such pointers is verified at compile time by the borrow checker, preventing dangling pointers and other forms of undefined behavior.

Ownership
Rust has an ownership system where all values have a unique owner, and the scope of the value is the same as the scope of the owner.[32][33] Values can be passed by immutable reference, using &T, by mutable reference, using &mut T, or by value, using T. At all times, there can either be multiple immutable references or one mutable reference (an implicit readers-writer lock). The Rust compiler enforces these rules at compile time and also checks that all references are valid.

I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #5552
Believe rust is more strongly typed to help avoid faulty/exploitable code. Consequently less efficient (the c/pascal conundrum).  I have zero real experience of it, except using stuff written in it.

Thanks for that Tricky. I hate garbage collectors; leads to lazy and inefficient code. Will look into rust.

Reply #5553
Remortgage almost complete and a big whack taken out of the house. The amount of paperwork you have to produce when self employed is immense. I know they have to follow regulations for source of funds, but do they really think I'm using dirty money to pay down equity? b@stards.

Reply #5554
Remortgage almost complete and a big whack taken out of the house. The amount of paperwork you have to produce when self employed is immense. I know they have to follow regulations for source of funds, but do they really think I'm using dirty money to pay down equity? b@stards.

Took us the best part of 2 years to get one and then we could on find Nationwide who would help. Lloyds, my bank of 38 years in May offered us 56K and then 2 weeks later sent me a letter saying I could borrow up to £60k for a new car or home improvements. I was tempted to walk in branch, sh!t on the counter and wipe my arse with the letter. If everything ever goes to sh!t I'm going to do my upmost to make Lloyds my only creditor.  
It's bacterial. It's a virus. It's Russian.