Skip to main content
Topic: What's amusing me today (Read 339791 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What's amusing me today

Reply #6240
A guy I worked with waited two years on a waiting list for a Tomb Raider Special Edition that came with the snorkel and winch and so on. He lived in Kensington.

He drove it for three months before he hated it so much that he sold it for a loss of several grand. It's fine if you're a farmer or a rural vet or a cliff rescuer or an actual tomb raider, but otherwise I'm with you. Over here, where four wheel drive and big ground clearance are actually really useful for all sorts of reasons, virtually no one drives a Defender.

Well, quite. People in Edinburgh are probably worse for that sort of thing than people in London, because they might actually need 4 wheel drive at the weekends when they bother the wildlife, but buy a vehicle with no all round capabilities whatsoever, at exhorbitant cost.

The first place we moved to in Edinburgh had a built in gun safe left by the previous owners. I thought that was deeply weird.

Reply #6241
I didn't explain properly - it was just a gimmick for the business, not a replacement for an actual person conveyance device. Bloody awful thing though.

Fair point.

People buy them thinking they're cool looking cars and they don't really substitute well for a proper car for all the reasons you mention.

If you want to do Land Rover stuff in them, they're awesome.

Reply #6243
My (not) son-in-law has just bought a second hand defender.  He does off-roading, hunting, and fishing, with it.  It's f*cking ace. The journey to Telford to sunny cotgrave to show it off to me was apparently a bit of a ball ache.

They are not road vehicles, but they are pretty handy for what they do well.

Reply #6244
I've always wanted a defender. I will go to Tesco in it mostly I imagine. They're cool.

Reply #6245
I've always wanted a defender. I will go to Tesco in it mostly I imagine. They're cool.

And sh!t, for urban driving.

Reply #6246
Forest have got one or two you could have for next to nothing.
Boy am I going to look even more stupid than usual when we romp to a 3-0 win.

Reply #6247
Forest have got one or two you could have for next to nothing.

Except they cost a fortune to run and break down way too often to be of any practical use.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #6248
Surely even Hefele could get to Tesco and back?
Boy am I going to look even more stupid than usual when we romp to a 3-0 win.

Reply #6249
I'm generally not one for millennials making Youtube videos, but this guy is genuinely funny and clever. In this one, he creates a Roomba that screams in pain and anger when it runs into things.

https://youtu.be/mvz3LRK263E

Skip to 3:30 to see him putting it into action for the first time. If you watch the whole thing, skip past the bits where he calls up other Youtubers because it's mildly irritating.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #6250
Well, quite. People in Edinburgh are probably worse for that sort of thing than people in London, because they might actually need 4 wheel drive at the weekends when they bother the wildlife,

They usually don't, though. It's just how they justify their choice to themselves and the world. The number of people in the UK who regularly do leisure things that can't be done in a Ford Focus must be infinitesimally small.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #6251
Today Farage is coming to Edinburgh. Internet users have already pointed out the location of his 'rally' and the closest McDonald's.

Reply #6252
They usually don't, though. It's just how they justify their choice to themselves and the world. The number of people in the UK who regularly do leisure things that can't be done in a Ford Focus must be infinitesimally small.

I hadn't read the previous parts of this conversation so being talkback I think you can guess what I thought it was about.  Having  read back a few posts I am very disappointed in you all. 

Reply #6254
Today's Times has decided to run a weird article about great Vincent Kompanies House is.

By his dad.