Skip to main content
Topic: New balls please. (Read 12651 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New balls please.

Reply #16

Well, the Federer match didn't go to plan. For me. Did for him.

It was brave betting on Querrey to do well.  He played at the top of his game, but still got handed his arse on a plate.

edit...

Dustin Brown broken in the third game.  Don't get your hopes up on that one either.

edit 2....

He's broken back....playing unbelievable high risk, but entertaining 'traditional' grass court tennis.  He surely can't keep hitting them in? fun.

edit 3....

and now Dreddy has broken him to take the first set 7-5.  It's no longer a bet.  It's now an investment.

Reply #17

It was brave betting on Querrey to do well.  He played at the top of his game, but still got handed his arse on a plate.

Yeah, there was little chance of him winning, but he played well in his first round match, particularly his serve - he only lost ten points on his serve in the whole match. Thought if Federer won 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 I'd still win. Oh well.

edit...

Dustin Brown broken in the third game.  Don't get your hopes up on that one either.

edit 2....

He's broken back....playing unbelievable high risk, but entertaining 'traditional' grass court tennis.  He surely can't keep hitting them in? fun.

edit 3....

and now Dreddy has broken him to take the first set 7-5.  It's no longer a bet.  It's now an investment.

Come on dusty. Or Tim. Or someone.

Reply #18
Yesterday turned out ok. A small profit.

Today am going over 3.5 sets in both Baghdatis v Goffin and Cilic v Isner as a double.

Reply #19
Djokovic two sets ahead, but 'lost' the first service game in the third set....challenged the call, and hawkeye overruled showing his ball in, and he then went on to hold serve.

Except the slow motion camera showed the ball clearly, and I mean six inches clearly, out.  Some stupid f*ck hasn't calibrated the equipment properly....or it doesn't work.

Reply #20

Djokovic two sets ahead, but 'lost' the first service game in the third set....challenged the call, and hawkeye overruled showing his ball in, and he then went on to hold serve.

Except the slow motion camera showed the ball clearly, and I mean six inches clearly, out.  Some stupid f*ck hasn't calibrated the equipment properly....or it doesn't work.

I happen to know the accuracy % of Hawkeye, it's not that impressive

Don't mention it to anyone who bangs on about goal line technology

Reply #21
I suppose the argument with technology is that it isn't influenced by crowd/behaviour/events.  It might give terrible dimwitted decisions, but it's random f*ckwittery and nobody is to blame.

Reply #22

I happen to know the accuracy % of Hawkeye, it's not that impressive

What an impressive % accuracy in your eyes?
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #23
TURN ON WILLIAMS / WATSON ON BBC2 IF YOU'RE NOT WATCHING.

Reply #24
I'm torn between 'what a fantastic effort, well played' and 'for f*ck's sake, Watson - you dragged me away from the cricket in the expectation of you beating one of the ugly sisters'.

Oh well. It's only tennis.

Reply #25
Brilliant game. She's not dour or Scottish and her mum doesn't strike me as the type that's trying to live her own dreams through her offspring.

Consider me a fan.

Reply #26
SHe lost, she's Guernsey's finest.

Seriously good game though, Watson's backhand was fantastic.  I hadn't realised she'd been ranked as high as she had though. 

Reply #27
A couple of years ago I said that I thought that Watson (and Robson) could make top 20. I can provide witnesses.  It was a good call on Watson, because despite diminutive physique, and lack of a massive shot, it's hard to see how she could....but there's heart and game management there. She has a long way to go, but she could do it.

I'm no tennis sage though...despite seeing Murray first at U17 level I honestly didn't see him being as good as he is.  (I'm a very big fan now and aspects of his game remind me of my hero McEnroe - the serve is Mac light, and the short backswing, disguised, cute angles, as as good as anything since the great man).

It's unbelievably hard to accurately identify which ones will squander potential, which fulfil it, and which somehow exceed it.

Reply #28
I don't watch enough tennis to know how good she is at the moment, never mind how she might progress.

I'm pleased I made the effort to watch that game though - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reply #29

I don't watch enough tennis to know how good she is at the moment, never mind how she might progress.

I don't watch enough tennis either but that doesn't stop me forming an opinion based on one interview I saw a while back where she lost in some early round. She was saying what a good effort she'd put in and really enjoyed it blah blah blah. That's not a good effort, that's crap, and I don't give a f*ck if you've had a good afternoon or not.

The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.