Skip to main content
Topic: Travel Thread (Read 21021 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Travel Thread

Reply #495
Very nice.

Reply #496
Renting a cottage not far from Drumnadrochit, so will mainly be messing about in Glens Affric, Cannich and Strathfarrar. We used to go often, but not been now for several years.

This used to be a great restaurant in Inverness: http://www.mustardseedrestaurant.co.uk/

Mind you, I stopped being Glasgow Red fourteen years ago, so can't really vouch for it now.

Reply #497
This used to be a great restaurant in Inverness: http://www.mustardseedrestaurant.co.uk/

Mind you, I stopped being Glasgow Red fourteen years ago, so can't really vouch for it now.

Fourteen years? Thinking about it, 11 years have passed since I came back from the US.
But, Glasgow has changed a lot in those 14 years. I really like Glasgow these days; rather a fun city.

Reply #498
Glasgow has always been fun. It was when I was there 1997 - 2004

Reply #499
Glasgow has always been fun. It was when I was there 1997 - 2004

Indeed. Always very rough around the edges back in them days though. There are some great places in Glasgow to explore, and the proximity of the Monroes and Loch Lomond makes it a great base for hiking. Very f*cking wet though.

Reply #500
Doesn’t every city have rough areas round the edges though?

Reply #501
Doesn’t every city have rough areas round the edges though?

Glasgow rougher than most though in my opinion. Lots of huge high-rise sink estates built with good intentions, but left to rot over the decades. At one point, I think Glasgow had more high rise buildings than any other European city. Don't forget, the life expectancy of a male born in Glasgow was as low as 58 until very recently!

Reply #502
Renting a cottage not far from Drumnadrochit, so will mainly be messing about in Glens Affric, Cannich and Strathfarrar. We used to go often, but not been now for several years.

Spent a very enjoyable day in the hills with mrs charlie and the dog.

Reply #503
Japan has been great so far.  Very active.  Go-karting through the streets of Tokyo was bonkers and ace.  Sumo of course was much more entertaining than it should be.  Fantastic food.  Crazy virtual reality art exhibitions.  Cherry Blossoms.  Bamboo forests.  Booze.  Tofu cooking classes.  Good company.  Amazing infrastructure.  Non angry wife and polite lovely xenophobic people.  It’s currently a win win!  Not even missing the football.

Will be very broke though.

Chicago:  Hai!
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #504
Just booked to go up to Inverness for few days in May half term.  Only ever been to Edinburgh in Scotland before.

Daughter not coming due to GCSE revision so just me, missus and 12 yr old son.

So any recommendations are welcome.

Reply #505
Don't go?

Reply #506
Just booked to go up to Inverness for few days in May half term.  Only ever been to Edinburgh in Scotland before.

Daughter not coming due to GCSE revision so just me, missus and 12 yr old son.

So any recommendations are welcome.

There's literally nothing in Inverness.

It's a great place to start if you want to explore the northern Highlands and west coast though.

You'll need to hire a car and drive about an hour in any direction to see the good stuff.  What kind of thing is it you're after? Hills? Lochs? Battlefields? Castles? Dolphins? Distilleries? Ian Rankin's second home?

Reply #507
Yes hired a car.  Thought one day drive out towards Loch Ness and another to the Highlands Zoo near Aviemore as son would like to see the polar bears they have.

That leaves one day to fill.  Lochs and castles good, maybe distilleries and anything like zipwires like th bones in North Wales.

Reply #509
Remember, I visit Nottingham on a fairly regular basis, Inverness can't be that much more of a sh!t hole.

Compared to Nottingham Inverness has low levels of tits, fannies and particularly Forest.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do