Skip to main content
Topic: Travel Thread (Read 14352 times) previous topic - next topic

Travel Thread

Driving in Brussels, safe for yokel or best avoided?
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Re: Travel Thread

Reply #1
Plenty safe, even for a bumblef*ck like you.
Outside it's 1933, so I'm hitting the bar

Reply #2
Driving + drinking Belgian beer not a good thing though.

Reply #3
Belgian traffic cops have black Porsches and sub-machine guns. The convention is to drive really fast and if you hear a siren try to keep out of its way by accelerating away from it. I strongly recommend ingo goes for a driving holiday there.

Reply #4
Stay away from town squares generally, church towers and dwarves specifically.

Reply #5

Belgian traffic cops have black Porsches and sub-machine guns. The convention is to drive really fast and if you hear a siren try to keep out of its way by accelerating away from it. I strongly recommend ingo goes for a driving holiday there.

Well I am, but unfortunately as you are just below Princess Di's Chauffer but one place above David Blunkett (given the number of cars you get through well done on making such a lofty position) on the list of people I will take motoring advice from I'm unlikely to call on the above. 
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #6
Driving in Belgium is fine, but remember that inexplicably some roads still have the archaic 'priority-on-the-right' rule, in that side roads have priority over the main road.

Probably not such an issue in Brussels city centre, but if you venture out of the city limits then you should at least be aware of it
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #7
Reviving the travel thread just for once.

New York during thanksgiving weekend: is it a fun place to be, or does everything shut down? Muswell''s thoughts in particular would be appreciated.

Reply #8
Assumed your question was referring to the fact every second person in Brussels is a terrorist.  Make sure you are driving a tank, or at least an A team style adapted van.

Reply #9
Nah. More mundanely, a family member is planning to go at that time, and wondered whether there would be anything to do/see, or whether the place would have closed down.

Reply #10

Nah. More mundanely, a family member is planning to go at that time, and wondered whether there would be anything to do/see, or whether the place would have closed down.

They have a big parade thing if that floats their boat

Reply #11

When I was there in the early 2000's I was stuck in a massive bloody traffic jam just outside of Brussels for ages.  What a crap day that was.  I am sure with all this terrorism sh"t that is dropping nowadays the waits will probably be longer.

Good luck getting anywhere.   And the place is full of Belgy's. 

Chicago: Slightly bitter.
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #12
I think, like the Germans, we have moved on from Belgium.

Reply #14
I'm confused about how Brussels has entered this discussion.

Anyway, if Chicago or Muswell have a view on whether New York is a good place to be at Thanksgiving, or not, that would be very helpful.