Skip to main content
Topic: What's pleasing me today (Read 295806 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What's pleasing me today

Reply #4995
Replacing the cartridge in the bathroom basin tap is pleasing me because I'm a completely rubbish handyman who has almost zero idea of how anything works (cars, electricity, phone, computers...). Thought for a moment I'd f*cked up as usual and we'd be without water for a week, because the old cartridge broke and I couldn't get all the bits out.

Reply #4996
The new year brings new business opportunities. I'm in the process of establishing a new IT consultancy firm along with 12 colleagues. We already have our first big client pretty much on board and are now going through the legalities and financial structure of the company.

What started out as a way of getting around the new IR35 regulations could yet prove to be very lucrative. I sometimes think I've been far too lucky in my life.

Reply #4999
I think attitude plays a part too, maybe if you are positive in your attitude you try more different things and also maybe you are more inclined to remember the successes,  not dwell on the failures?

Reply #5000
I know knew amazingly positive people who have died of cancer, had a stroke, or a massive heart attack, or been born with malformed limbs, or been shot by their own side in the back when on active service.

Were they not making their own luck enough?

I'm not positive.  I'm realistic.  I'm doing okay.  Mainly by dint of being born in a privileged country, with a decent set of reasonably well off parents (in the general scheme of things), and access to education and opportunity.

I haven't deserved any of it, nor made any of my own luck. Although if I was massively self-important, and didn't have time to objectively assess how the world works, I might be tempted to think it was all down to me.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #5001
I'm not saying that if you are positive bad things won't happen to you.

if you are positive maybe you keep trying, and also maybe you don't recall the bad things so much so think you have been lucky.

Reply #5002
I'm not so concerned about your attitude to positivity. I am more interested in those who believe in their own genetic predisposition to making their own luck. I can't help but wonder how this would have manifested itself if they were born as a Calcutta orphan, whose limbs had been amputated to make them a more efficient begging machine, rather than with the immense privilege we all have enjoyed.

Some of the greatest, and most notable people, across all fields, often with almost superhuman drive, and reserves of resilience and optimism, acknowledge the great debt that good fortune and serendipity play in their achievements.

Then you have South Africans, who are all c*nts, saying that the harder they practice, the luckier they get.

Don't be a saffer.

Reply #5003
I'm not saying that if you are positive bad things won't happen to you.

if you are positive maybe you keep trying, and also maybe you don't recall the bad things so much so think you have been lucky.

It’s easier to stay positive if your experience is of things going well.

Say you had a pretty happy and safe childhood.. when you fell down your parents helped you back up.. when you had a problem at school your teachers believed in you and helped you through etc etc.. that builds a certain type of person. If you had a poor (financially, or otherwise) childhood.. your parents shouted at you for being stupid enough to fall over and get mud on your shorts, your teachers weren’t interested in you etc.. well that builds a different type of person.. a person inclined not to assume things will work out and, so, not to think positively all the time.

I’ve never taken a sick day. If I wake up feeling a bit sh!tty I go to work.. I figure there’s nothing actually wrong and I’ll feel better once I get out and do something. That’s how it works out. I think an awful lot of sick days would be avoided if everyone did that... and a lot of people who suffer in the careers because of these sick days would improve their lot by having my attitude. But here’s the thing... I’ve never been sick. Obviously if I feel crappy I will think positively and assume it will be fine.. I have no experience of that not happening. I’m not a stupidly reliable employee because of my mindset, it’s because life bequeathed me the immune system of a tank... a terrific slice of good luck on top of all the rest of it.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #5004
I'm not so concerned about your attitude to positivity. I am more interested in those who believe in their own genetic predisposition to making their own luck. I can't help but wonder how this would have manifested itself if they were born as a Calcutta orphan, whose limbs had been amputated to make them a more efficient begging machine, rather than with the immense privilege we all have enjoyed.

Some of the greatest, and most notable people, across all fields, often with almost superhuman drive, and reserves of resilience and optimism, acknowledge the great debt that good fortune and serendipity play in their achievements.

Then you have South Africans, who are all c*nts, saying that the harder they practice, the luckier they get.

Don't be a saffer.

I tend to agree. Perhaps self-reflection comes more naturally with age (I can't be certain, because as far as I know it's the only time I've been this old), but if I look back at major events that led to where I am, most of it is just blind luck.

Lucky to be born to parents who give a sh!t is probably the number one headstart in life. A close second is being born as a male in one of the wealthiest civilisations ever to have existed. Third is being part of a race that imposed its worldview on everybody else at just the moment humanity discovered itself.

Fourth would be my parents decision to move move from what was effectively a civil war situation in Northern Ireland to the much derided Reading area.

Fifth was said Reading area being one of the already wealthiest locations on the planet being primely situated to take advantage of the high-technology boom and my graduating at just the right time to take advantage of it.

Sixth would be a few excellent teachers who largely prevented me from wasting the luck I had previously been granted.

Seventh would be choosing to go to university in Nottingham which ultimately led to my meeting my future wife.

Eighth would be my almost dying of illness before I reached thirty which forced a career change upon me  (albeit not major) and reassessing my lifestyle resulting in moving to the US for two and a half years.

Ninth would be working with someone in London who just happened to mention a new project that was kicking off and put in a good word for me just as we were both being made redundant.

The ninth slice of luck has led me to here. I know I'm good at my job and impress people otherwise I wouldn't be on the verge of such an opportunity, but there was a f*ck load of luck involved getting here.

The only bad luck in all of that was that I ended up being a Forest fan. I bought my first season ticket the last time Forest were in the Premier League and have renewed it without fail ever since. Perhaps you all have me to blame for Forest's bad luck since?

Reply #5005
You have made all our football supporting bad luck. You utter, utter, b@stard.

There's a tendency to take things for granted, living and being brought up where and when we have been. We wouldn't have had to be born much differently (in time or place) to have nothing like the advantages that we have. Our parents didn't, our children won't have, and most of the rest of the world of our generation have much less privilege and opportunity.

Yet there's a section of society, and it's governance, that want to persuade you that if you are doing well it's because you entirely deserve it on your merits, and you are entitled to chisel as much out of those less fortunate than you, because you are better.

It's as sickening and immoral, as it is both wrong and horribly prevalent. It's a sign of morbid stupidity, as well.

We are hideously lucky. We should club together to maintain our collective advantage. Not allow greed and stupidity to destroy the very advantage we've profited from.

Reply #5006
You have made all our football supporting bad luck. You utter, utter, b@stard.

There's a tendency to take things for granted, living and being brought up where and when we have been. We wouldn't have had to be born much differently (in time or place) to have nothing like the advantages that we have. Our parents didn't, our children won't have, and most of the rest of the world of our generation have much less privilege and opportunity.

Yet there's a section of society, and it's governance, that want to persuade you that if you are doing well it's because you entirely deserve it on your merits, and you are entitled to chisel as much out of those less fortunate than you, because you are better.

It's as sickening and immoral, as it is both wrong and horribly prevalent. It's a sign of morbid stupidity, as well.

We are hideously lucky. We should club together to maintain our collective advantage. Not allow greed and stupidity to destroy the very advantage we've profited from.

I would say amen to that, but then I don't believe in deities.

Reply #5007
Just temporarily my shoes with a roasting bag tie. A permanent fix with a cable tie is imminent.  This cobbling is apiece of piss

Reply #5008
Booking a table for Saturday night is pleasing me. Not had alcohol since New Year's Eve, but it's 1 Feb on Saturday. Will no doubt get arseholed.

Reply #5009
Beating Jeff Stelling 5-2 at his Super 6 prediction game on the back of predicting Brentford 0 Forest 1.
A Moeenaphobe who is slowly turning into Donny. Allegedly.