Skip to main content
Topic: FIFA (Read 11485 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: FIFA

Reply #30

They are a bit less keen on killing slave labour and have a more temperate climate. Although they are about as keen on the gays.

I thought the Russians love slave labour. They are always transporting dissenters to Siberia for a life of smashing rocks, reading Marx and eating gulag.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #31
Mmmmm......... gulag.

Outside it's 1933, so I'm hitting the bar

Reply #33
Astonishing.

Reply #35
To be fair, he would know a lot about the Mafia, after the Napoli ... thing.

Reply #37
So now they will have to run the World Cup bids again and we will get our Gamston stadium for 2020. Hooray!

Reply #38
FIFA? Corrupt?!? I'm shocked. How did this happen?

Reply #39

I do so hope that this is the start of the sh!tstorm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32895048

You know how this is going to work, don't you?

1. Sepp Blatter will be too heavily embedded in the upper echelons of Swiss politics and finance for the Swiss to ever prosecute him. He will know too much dirt/be owed too many favours.
It has been reported that he doesn't travel to America at the moment, so it will be hard for the US to get their hands on him directly.

2. There are many many people below Blatter in the FIFA beaucracy, and most of them will have been involved in FIFA's culture of corruption - to ensure that everyone has something to lose if the gaff is blown - so FIFA can just keep tossing a few out and making them scapegoats. It keeps everyone else in fear and allows the odd score to be settled. I bet these arrests were covertly assisted by people higher up the food chain in FIFA.

It will a miracle if anything ever sticks to Blatter, or causes the house of cards to fall.

Reply #40
I think JP has it spot on. The presidential vote will go ahead on Friday and Sepp will stay in power.

Reply #42
Although...the Swiss police say they have opened a criminal investigation into the circumstances surrounding the Qatar (and, I think, Russia) World Cups, involving offences of money laundering and bribery. So something may happen over and above just the sacrificing of a few relatively senior FIFA officials.

Reply #44
From the FIFA press conference:

How can Sepp Blatter continue in power? “He is not involved. That is important information.” Have you spoken to him since the arrests? “He is focused on the congress. Let’s put it like this. The stress factor is higher today than yesterday but he is relaxed. He is not involved. All the rest, he’ll accept what will happen.”