Skip to main content
Topic: FIFA (Read 11486 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: FIFA

Reply #210
I'm all for it coming to AU/NZ.. but remember that most of the good stadiums in AU are great big f*ckin' ovals which are sh!t for watching properball in. And both they and whatever rectangular stadiums are around are fully utilized by Aussie Rules and/or Rugby League during the world cup period, so that's a logistical problem. especially now the world cup has been expanded to 88 teams and lasts for three months.

I wonder if the timezone is problematic for Fifa. I'd be curious as to whether they took a hit in advertising/sponsorship money in the Japan/Korea tournament because matches were broadcast during the worst time for western European audiences.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #211
Japan and Korea was the best time zone for a World Cup. The games at 7 and 10 will go down as some of the highlights of what I like to think is a pretty distinguished drinking career. I have never been so utterly, utterly sh!tfaced in the morning as during those beautiful 4 weeks.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #212
Japan and Korea was the best time zone for a World Cup. The games at 7 and 10 will go down as some of the highlights of what I like to think is a pretty distinguished drinking career. I have never been so utterly, utterly sh!tfaced in the morning as during those beautiful 4 weeks.

It was excellent. Yes. My village local was glorious at f*ck-that-sh!t-oh-well-what-the-hell-o'clock. It was a sight to behold.

Ok. You can have a world cup in Straya. But do us a favor and don't have England qualify. Or if they must, lobby hard for all England games to be in Darwin.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #213
Ah yes. Back in the days when I could.

In an exciting thread crossover (is this the first one for the new board? Hurray!) I do recall the Brazil game on my birthday being particularly messy. with the the mother of all hangovers kicking in by about 7PM. Argentina was was quite special too.

The real pinnacle of birthday / Engerland related antics came with Euro 96 v Spain on the 22nd. The previous night I had reportedly been transported home in wheelie bin from Rick's in Bournemouth square to Charminster and waking  at around 11:30AM in the Richmond Arms. TGLE's penno was of course liver destroying.

Not big or clever kids, mmmkaay.
Meet the New c*nts.

Same as the Old c*nts.

Reply #214
That World Cup for me was spent in Foremans with Red Dom. I really shouldn't be alive.

Reply #215
Australia yes. New Zealand, no. Never. Miserable weather, whinging locals and rubbish stadia. Imagine a British winter without Christmas and football.

You lying toerag.  You just don't want the hooligans pissing in your back yard.  (which by the way is fair enough....)

Chicago: Prepping my brown envelope. 
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #216
You lying toerag.  You just don't want the hooligans pissing in your back yard.  (which by the way is fair enough....)

Chicago: Prepping my brown envelope. 

It's a winter tour. Even Wellington is a bit crappy in winter. Queenstown is aces, of course

Reply #217
This doesn't actually tell us a great deal. Like what's in the report, for openers.
Meet the New c*nts.

Same as the Old c*nts.

Reply #218
More is to follow Sean. Maybe.

Reply #219
Yes, I missed that bit.

As you were.
Meet the New c*nts.

Same as the Old c*nts.

Reply #220
At least the Russian official who was head of Russian sport during the period of state-organised doping, for which Russia has been banned from the Olympics, is now organising the world cup in Russia. And FIFA don't seem to mind.

What could go wrong?!