Skip to main content
Topic: Them there t'other clubs (Read 605675 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Them there t'other clubs

Reply #10305

I think it's sort of between big tournaments (Nations thingy whatever excepted), so he's looking at, and developing young players, and experimenting with different ways of playing. Progression is rarely linear, and England weren't anything like as good as world cup semi-finalists might suggest. Football currently is in a mess - in terms of fitness, injury, illness, and lack of atmosphere. Plus the psychological problems associated with the state of the world, and some very different pressures on players.

England are a very handy side (can run), but they lack a couple of world class game changers with error free knack (can't kick). They struggle to break sides down or get the return their possession merits, because they are hesitant over playing a final ball, or miss the quality (in decision making and passing), and the finishing isn't really as clean as top level international football requires to be regularly beating the very top sides.

I do think it's coming. There are a lot of options. It might take something like less of a reliance on old dead legs up front, for it to come together. Foden and Grealish will make a difference.  Without them we are mainly short of that quality of player who can take it in tight areas and turn upfield without having to play ten square passes and gamble on finding a run behind. Looking good at set pieces, but still need a bit more nous and swagger.

Hang on.

I've just read that twice, because I wasn't sure, but did you just post something without somehow launching a scathing attack on the Tories and Boris being bumbling f*ckwitted murderer? 

R u OK hun x

Meet the New c*nts.

Same as the Old c*nts.

Reply #10307
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55007923

I agree Wayne, I think it's an excellent idea.

I wonder who'll get chosen between the dim witted, all time England goal scorer who doesn't have his badges and the black guy who had an ok playing career but has dedicated himself to coaching and got all his badges?

Reply #10308
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55007923

I agree Wayne, I think it's an excellent idea.

Yes. Lampard was a gamble, but a more calculated gamble, given that he appeared to have a bit about him upstairs. Rooney looks like a potential car-crash appointment, unless they successfully welded him to an experienced head. Perhaps Steve McClaren fancies a fourth term?

Reply #10309
I think we can all agree that we would like to see shrek Wayne take over the managers position at d*rby, and we would all be sure to wish them both the very best of luck.

I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #10310
Apparent latest SkyBet odds for next d*rby manager...

Rafael Benitez - 9/4
Wayne Rooney - 5/2
John Gregory - 7/1
John Terry - 8/1
Liam Rosenior - 8/1
Steve Cooper - 10/1
Eddie Howe - 16/1

Benitez ruled himself out yesterday. Aside from Howe, who looks an outsider, that's a dreadful list. John fcuking Gregory third favourite? Jesus. Perhaps we appointed at the right time.

Reply #10311
Wayne doesn't have his badges...so can't be formally appointed.  So the talk is Gregory as a 'mentor' and contractual obligation.

This is all looking a bit clusterf*cky.  Poor d*rby.

Reply #10312
It's one of those situations where it might not be the worst thing[1] if they win the next couple and give Rooney the job.

Surely Rooney could do better for a mentor than John Gregory. That would be a blatant work round the rules.

Interesting test for their new owners. If they appoint Rooney, they look like starf*ckers, rather than serious people. At least none of Marinkas's appointments have been a play for reflected glory.

for us

Reply #10313
Apparent latest SkyBet odds for next d*rby manager...

Rafael Benitez - 9/4
Wayne Rooney - 5/2
John Gregory - 7/1
John Terry - 8/1
Liam Rosenior - 8/1
Steve Cooper - 10/1
Eddie Howe - 16/1

Benitez ruled himself out yesterday. Aside from Howe, who looks an outsider, that's a dreadful list. John fcuking Gregory third favourite? Jesus. Perhaps we appointed at the right time.

I had no idea John Gregory was still a thing. When was the last time he managed a club? They might as well bring in the many weird personalities of William Macintosh Davies.*

*Please, God

Reply #10314
I had no idea John Gregory was still a thing. When was the last time he managed a club? They might as well bring in the many weird personalities of William Macintosh Davies.*

*Please, God

Quick Google tells me he's been managing in India for a couple of years. Bizarre.

Reply #10315
Preston v Sheffield Wednesday today.

https://streamable.com/w3h3q1

I'm not one to judge and the Wednesday player seems quite unperturbed by the whole thing, but it's a somewhat odd thing to do on the field of play.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #10316
Would be relatively normal, were it not so tender and caring.

Reply #10319
I'm not saying it's right, but it's a relatively common 'distraction at a corner' ploy. It's happened to me multiple times. I'd take it over getting both feet stamped on simultaneously by the strikers heels, which is my personal least favourite of that particular box of tricks.

As I've said before. My favourite is a fella I used to play with once tied the defenders dreadlocks around a post.

These sort of things are generally considered relatively good natured and minxy, compared with going over the top of the ball, leading with an elbow, or launching at the man studs up.