Skip to main content
Topic: What's annoying me today (Read 502340 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What's annoying me today

Reply #9525
It's sh!t management.

Indeed. It's not malicious. My manager is very nice, she's very supportive, she's trying to get me promoted, supportive with family stuff impacting my day, makes sure I'm involved with things that interest me etc. Infact overall, she's a good manager. But she could do with being more aware of my workload and realising that at times the best thing she can do is just leave me alone for a few days.

Reply #9526
You'll get more respect for refusing to attend meetings where you're not really needed than if you join a meeting where you have no input. One of the crappy parts of corporate culture is unnecessary meetings. There's nothing worse than being in a meeting where you have nothing to input.

I once worked for a company in Silicon Valley in an internal application development department that had previously failed to deliver anything for 18 years. A new HOD had been hired and he shook things up quite a bit. The best thing he did IMO was to deal with the meeting culture. Previously the various team leaders had been obsessed with meetings to the extent no work could be done. The HOD basically told them it was their job to give direction to the developers with the minimum of interference, developers could only be in meetings for a maximum of 30 minutes per month and it was their responsibility to hire developers that could work independently.  It worked very well and the required systems were delivered in a couple of years. A nice side effect was we got taken out for a lot of free dinners / drinks when the managers couldn't discuss everything they wanted in the allocated 30 minutes. I've tried and failed to get this approach adopted everywhere I've worked since.

Reply #9527
In a similar vein, and it may already be covered by the overuse of video on work/project meetings is getting a bit silly. We were asked at an all-hands recently if people liked turning video on. One person said that she now insists every project meeting is done with video turned on as it increased engagement. It was then minute that everyone seems to share this view.

I don't.

There are some calls which I will try to do with video on. 1:1's with my boss, perhaps meetings with the UK top brass (if their cameras are on) or something stupidly informal, but the rest of my meetings either fall into ones where I am leading the meeting, on which I generally need my two screens for screen-sharing/notes/looking up facts and the whole camera thing gets in the way, or rather knowing it's on puts me off my game. Or meetings where I am a mere cog, and have a relatively small contribution with the rest of the meeting having a listening brief. I go on those sort of calls, like a weekly 2hr Exec portfolio review and I see all these idiots sitting there staring blankly into their camera. It's a much better use of my time if when I'm not actually contributing, I can listen in the background whilst catching up with emails, pinging people about status or other parts of my day job.

So I just don't turn the camera on much now. I'm probably being seen as a luddite
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #9528
It's mainly correct.  Just one substantial error. Meetings at the end of the day are wrong.  As a maker, it's very rare that you solve a problem at five, pack up and go.  You may finish before and not start something...you may just worry the rag a bit longer and get a solution, or at least a convenient break point, somewhere in the region of...but generally a little over. Make an enforced break at 4pm, or worse 3pm, and you impede a lot of momentum based solutions.

Meetings should be at the start of the day.  Ideally on a monday morning*.  Then leave me the f*ck to get on with stuff the rest of the week.

* I'm not good at mornings, but this is a broad principle, not about me.

Correct. Get calls out of the way at the start of the day and leave me to get on with what I need to do. Working on projects, you invariably reach the stage where daily catch up calls are required. We are at that stage at the moment. We have an hour long call at 9.30 every day, followed by a quick wash-up with the migration team, after which we go our own ways.

If we need to talk to each other during the day, we simply send a message and meet over Teams if required. Far more productive than having an end of day meeting.

Reply #9529
Also, substantive meetings, about policy, or restructuring workload, should never take place on a Friday. People don't have time to implement them, it preys on their mind over the weekend, and then damages productivity, through stress.

Monday morning.

You have to have a very good reason to have a formal, significant, policy meeting, that isn't on a Monday morning.

Or should.

If it's not one of those, then informal progress/line management processes, should be adequate. Many meetings are merely posturing about how important someone, or something is supposed to be. Mainly, not really. Excessive, poorly focussed, meetings is a warning indication of a failing process.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #9530
I've started to try and insist on an agenda for meetings. If I had a bit more confidence and had been at the company a bit longer, I'd refuse to attend any meetings that didn't have one.

Reply #9531
Correct. Get calls out of the way at the start of the day and leave me to get on with what I need to do.

Ideally yes but this falls down when 'start of the day' is different globally, my cal is usually booked out mornings for local stand-ups but even more booked every afternoon, early for east coast, later for west coast teams.

As Guru says, you need to pick & attend the meetings where you get or can add the most value.

Reply #9532
I'm not entirely sure why but there were rumours of inappropriate behaviour towards FOH staff.

Did he call a meeting with them beforehand to talk through his planning?
I wouldn't recommend being a student to anyone.....
.......except to students

Reply #9533
Ideally yes but this falls down when 'start of the day' is different globally, my cal is usually booked out mornings for local stand-ups but even more booked every afternoon, early for east coast, later for west coast teams.

As Guru says, you need to pick & attend the meetings where you get or can add the most value.

Indeed. In the morning the people in India want to talk, and in the afternoon the people in New York want to talk.

Reply #9535
I worked on Galileo, Copernicus, and Cryosat. I am angry, confused, baffled, helpless...at this blatant stupidity. I am so done with what is happening. We're destroying so much of our achievements - and necessary structures and systems at that.

I wonder why?
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #9536
Decided a couple of weeks ago not to change the car until next year. Yesterday it cost me the best part of $800 at the service.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #9537
I’d rather do early meetings, but that doesn’t work for everyone. So if you have the power to dictate when meetings happen spare a thought for those who are not ‘morning people’ and may not be at their best at 9am.. the world is already rigged against them enough. I’m not naturally a morning person, but I can boot myself up pretty effectively when needed and am happy to leave my most productive afternoon time for doing useful things. Some people genuinely cannot function properly first thing.. especially people who may, for example, be on certain medications that mean a bit of grogginess is the norm in the morning.

I use whatever influence I have over meetings to try and have them on Wednesdays. I won’t attempt anything that requires momentum on Wednesdays.. it’s all meetings, odds and ends, and then I finish early cos it’s date night. And, conversely, I do as much as I can to keep Tuesday and Friday completely free so that I can get into things properly.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #9538
I'm not a morning person and hate first-thing-in-the-morning meetings/calls. Then again, I have fairly flexible work hours, so it's not unsual for me to work into the night. One advantage of having a call later in the day (for me) is that as well as being more switched-oi generally, I can get the key action points/minutes out that evening so that people are reviewing when they arrive in the next morning. Had the meeting been in the morning, I probably won't have the time to look at the actions immediately so there can be up to a days delay getting them out. This can change where I have an assistant allocated but then you are working to their rhythm, whatever it may be.

On another note over the years running projects, a tip for scheduling exec steering or any potentially combustible meeting, is to put it late on a Thursday. At my company, Friday's a lot of people work from home (pre covid) and a lot of senior types have been staying in hotels during the week  so with it being the 'last day in' there is an air of being demob happy and a desire not to get tangled in anything that may delay them getting away. If it's a rough one, then Friday can be a more calming day to recover and/or agree actions with people who are impacted by any steers made, ready for proper conversations on a Monday.

And please corporate world - if you are going to have any major lay-offs or nasty sh!t like that, don't throw an urgent 'everyone must attend' meeting for a Monday morning, leaving everyone to stew over the possibilities over the weekend. Do it on the Friday
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #9539
I'm definitely a morning person, but that means I need to reserve mornings for the important stuff (ie: work and getting things done) and not for meetings, which I prefer late morning or even end of the day which tends to be unproductive time for me. I realise that I'm putting meetings at the bottom of my priority list but that's just how it has to be for me. Others will no doubt have different ways of working.