Skip to main content
Topic: What's annoying me today (Read 406581 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What's annoying me today

Reply #7980
There's a good working principle for backups, in an IT context, that works well here.

3-2-1

Three copies, two different media, one off site.

I think you're a bit out of date mate. Now the thing to do is just "Cloud". It's the answer to everything. Never has any issues. Data always safe and fully secure. Get onboard!

Reply #7981
Until it's not.

That's one copy, one media, and one offline. You'll be needing one more copy (the data itself is also a copy) for when your amazing cloud! of which you have so little knowledge, and no control, is no longer there (I've known businesses lose all data from their amazing cloud!) because some idiot got a new credit card.

Reply #7982
The Cloud Tricky! It's the future!

Reply #7983
Some good news the AA has admitted part fault in supplying a too large breakdown truck and agreed to send me a cheque for £100 which is better than nothing after paying them £144. I'm just weighing up if I should claim  lfor lost keys on my car insurance.

Reply #7985
Sounds like you don't understand the cloud to me.

Reply #7986
Look matey. I call my servers names like stratus, cumulus, and cirrostratus. I'm f*cking all over it.

Reply #7987
Look matey. I call my servers names like stratus, cumulus, and cirrostratus. I'm f*cking all over it.

The servers are sturdy enough for that, are they?

Reply #7988
Nebulosus.

Reply #7989
My wife's car (15 years old) remote dongle thingy stopped deactivating the alarm recently. Instead of fixing it, I removed the fuse for the remote lock and alarm and we now access the car using the key.

Previously, the electric windows started working intermittently. I decided to replace all the windows with wind up windows from a breakers yard. Was cheaper too.

The car was originally the top spec model. As everything breaks, I'm downgrading to the basics because they just work. The CD player keeps skipping, I might install a casette player.

Keycard for the ignition? Never. How hard is it to stick a key in?

Tricky should go back to storing data on a (Cumulo)nimbus.

Reply #7990
My wife's car (15 years old) remote dongle thingy stopped deactivating the alarm recently. Instead of fixing it, I removed the fuse for the remote lock and alarm and we now access the car using the key.

Previously, the electric windows started working intermittently. I decided to replace all the windows with wind up windows from a breakers yard. Was cheaper too.

The car was originally the top spec model. As everything breaks, I'm downgrading to the basics because they just work. The CD player keeps skipping, I might install a casette player.

Keycard for the ignition? Never. How hard is it to stick a key in?

Tricky should go back to storing data on a (Cumulo)nimbus.
My car doesn't have a ignition space for a key or a keyhole in the door.

Reply #7991
My car doesn't have a ignition space for a key or a keyhole in the door.
 I'll bet you it does. You just don't know where it is. 

Often the passenger side handle mount clips off, and there's a lock under there...and the ignition keyhole is normally behind a cowl on the steering column.

Will be in the manual. On account of how battery's work, they don't generally build cars without a manual entry system as backup.

Reply #7993
I'll bet you it does. You just don't know where it is.

Often the passenger side handle mount clips off, and there's a lock under there...and the ignition keyhole is normally behind a cowl on the steering column.

Will be in the manual. On account of how battery's work, they don't generally build cars without a manual entry system as backup.

Otherwise things like this happen

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/06/11/texas-man-dog-die-trapped-corvette/71053474/

There was a manual door release.  He just didn't know where it was.

Reply #7994
That's sad, if a bit Darwinian. I also like that firemen have dead bodies in a car and took a while to work out they could smash the window to check. I'm not wild about having them in the gene pool. Far too many f*ckwits about as it is.

Won't somebody just think of the puppies?