Skip to main content
Topic: What's annoying me today (Read 287256 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What's annoying me today

Reply #5700
Iranians are excellent chefs and I have eaten in a Persian Restaurant in Nottingham just down from Canning Circus the food was to die for. I must admit I have no idea why Iranians are fixated with Italian restaurants. There is an excellent Italian in Chapel St Leonards and strangely enough it's run by Italians.

Reply #5701
Those Italians must, to this day, be wondering how the f*ck they pitched up in Ch St L.

Much like those poor Portugese buggers in Boston.

Reply #5702
Those Italians must, to this day, be wondering how the f*ck they pitched up in Ch St L.

Possibly the Millionaire Caravan owners.

Reply #5703
Which ones?

(Donny getting all 'meta' on me there).

Reply #5705

I might be wrong, but I think the Italian food industry abroad, has similar roots to that of the Chinese food industry....in that the initial immigrants came over to work as labourers and the suchlike, but found that they could earn money making street food (ice cream, being one for italians, and in the case of the chinese whipping up a stir fry).
They were mostly not food professionals, originally. which is why much of it is not 'good' cuisine representative of the source culture.

Anyway, returning to the Italians, I present this without comment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-42267533
That is brilliant.  How do you end up with a testicle in your mouth "in self-defence"?

Reply #5707
The article says all involved were Italians; but we all know they are probably Iranians.

Reply #5708
All this stuff terrifies me as I may well be selling my house in the next year or so.

I guess it's the best example of a good reason to buy a new build to avoid the whole chain thing. Thats what we (myself and ex wife) did previously, and we pretty much sleep-walked through the whole process. I doubt I will have the luxury again as present gf is 'not a fan' of new builds

If you have to you have to; but if you can avoid the homebuying process right now I'd suggest you give it serious consideration.
For us it's been an absolute nightmare and from what I hear we aren't alone. I think about 1 in 3 chains are breaking down and
when it's your time, money and emotional investment it's no picnic.

I've moved house perhaps 30 times (and bought / sold in at least half)  and although it's never been a pleasant process; I've never seen it as bad as this.

If I had to start again I'd ask a lot more questions of everyone involved, but to be honest I'm not sure how I could have anticipated some of the lies.

I would not for example have thought to ask the woman buying with the inheritance from her recently deceased father if he was really dead; and I have to admit I was taken aback that when it fell through  she decided to move in with her father.
Perhaps she was planning a bit of murdering and got cold feet.

Anyway we are supposed to exchange tomorrow. It's insane that we have no way of knowing even at this late stage
where we will be living in just over a week's time.

I've had to be an absolutely irritating c*nt[1] with all the agents and solicitors involved and if it comes off we've turned it round in 3 weeks; so it shows it doesn't have to take the inordinate time the conveyancers in particular will tell you it does.

And despite what they have responded with it certainly would not have gone through this quickly; it at all if I had not

Reply #5709
Anyway, returning to the Italians, I present this without comment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-42267533

"Del Viscio has been placed on a restriction of liberty order for six months, which means she must stay at home between 22:00 and 06:00."

It's not *really* all that restrictive, is it. It's almost as if there is no desire to punish her whatsoever, beyond giving her a record (which, these days, can be a pretty big deal for life!). Fair enough, like, she's probably not a threat to the public nor someone who'll be put off from future testicle-eating by six months in chokey. But it's another thing to make you wonder about people being threatened with jail for saying stupid things on twitter.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #5710
I guess it's the best example of a good reason to buy a new build to avoid the whole chain thing. Thats what we (myself and ex wife) did previously, and we pretty much sleep-walked through the whole process. I doubt I will have the luxury again as present gf is 'not a fan' of new builds

My last two transactions were a breeze... partly because I sold and moved into a rental, and bought and moved out of a rental. I know that's not always an option (especially if there are children ruining everything), but it's always there.. especially if you know you want to move before you set on where you want to move to. If/when I move again, I would definitely do that.

It takes a lot of pressure off and any costs of the extra move should be more than offset by have more scope to secure better prices for both your sale and your purchase.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #5711
Thats not a bad shout. What will make my next move more complicated is that we will have two houses to sell and one to buy. Perhaps the idea of sticking stuff in storage and temporarily moving into rented accommodation whilst the search happens will help.

The big question is whether it will be feasible, given our combined equity, to buy a house we are happy with and go mortgage free, or if we will still need a small mortgage (I suspect the latter)

I personally like new builds - all very shiny and efficient houses. My big problem with them is nowadays they are piled on top of the next house with barely a hairs breadth between them, their 'double driveways' are more like 1.5 driveways, the garages are always too small and they are generally hideously overlooked. My current house was bought new, but it's tucked away at the edge of a small estate, borders the park on one side and the big houses behind are so far back there are no overlooking issues. Plus I don't have a garage (which is a pain, from a storage perspective) but I have a biggish driveway with a turning point bit, so at a push I could get 4 cars on there. Lucking out like that again will be nigh on impossible.

The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #5712
My last two transactions were a breeze... partly because I sold and moved into a rental, and bought and moved out of a rental. I know that's not always an option (especially if there are children ruining everything), but it's always there.. especially if you know you want to move before you set on where you want to move to. If/when I move again, I would definitely do that.

It takes a lot of pressure off and any costs of the extra move should be more than offset by have more scope to secure better prices for both your sale and your purchase.

I recently did this, moved into a rental flat and sold the house, but ended up having to pay rent & mortgage for a bit due to delays in the sale.

Reply #5713
Admiral Rodney has a good selection of beers and is pretty cosy. Hearty Goodfellow is nice and does decent food.

Forgot the final whistle, which looks good and has a decent reputation but we haven't made it to because it's a bit out of the town. And throw in the Bromley at Fiskerton and the Full Moon in Morton, which are only just outside - both do great food. Gurkha One at Rolleston is a bit further but the best Indian in the area.

Reply #5714
Forgot the final whistle, which looks good and has a decent reputation but we haven't made it to because it's a bit out of the town. And throw in the Bromley at Fiskerton and the Full Moon in Morton, which are only just outside - both do great food. Gurkha One at Rolleston is a bit further but the best Indian in the area.

Thanks. The Final Whistle is the only Southwell pub we've been to so far, but we've had lunch at both the Bromley and the Full Moon.