Skip to main content
Topic: Gardeners' World (Read 17882 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gardeners' World

Reply #150
We paid £1500 to have three trees removed, so to trim I would guess £300?

Reply #151
Last time we hired someone to cut back our trees it was a couple of blokes who knocked on the door and offered their services, I think we paid about £150. I was sitting at my desk in front of the window about half an hour later when I heard a yell, looked up and saw a bloke and his chainsaw plummeting to the ground. Luckily he got away with not much more than a big graze, but it did make me think that we should probably have asked to see some credentials, like maybe a licence.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #152

We've inherited a very attractive and established tree in the front garden of our new house - I think a silver birch. However, it's about 10 feet from the property (on the boundary edge) and stands probably 10-15 feet higher than the top of the roof. It doesn't overhang any neighbouring houses, but wondered two things:

1) Is it wise to have a tree that tall, especially given we live on a fairly tight housing estate?
2) What would be a reasonable budget to have a tree surgeon come and lop it back a bit? Has anyone employed one before?

f*ck that. Ingo, a chainsaw, and some red diesel.  Sorted.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #153
My late planted green beans are doing well. Need a warm september...

Reply #154
Will be back home at the weekend after four weeks away. Wonder what the beans and toms will look like. Daughter has allegedly been watering them.

Reply #155

Will be back home at the weekend after four weeks away. Wonder what the beans and toms will look like. Daughter has allegedly been watering them.

"It wasn't my fault, they dies of natural causes"
Official Talkback Matchday Thread Starter and all round nice guy.

#neversurrendertojimruss

Reply #156
We have a gardener who got his mate round to quote for trimming about 5 Yew trees running up our drive. Came back with £250.

I would do it myself but we live in a conservation zone so they get sniffy about hacking around trees when you don't know what you are doing.

Feel like £250 is steep. Gardens are a money pit!

Reply #157
Ingo with a chainsaw, and some red diesel is what you need.  Or a mini digger....which came as a bit of a shock to the nesting pidgeons that staggered out after their home turned 180 degrees with a thump.

Reply #158
I think the best way I can help here is do Art a hi-vis vest with Art's Arboriculture printed on the back for £5 and let him crack on looking quite the pro. Until he starts work at least anyway.

If it's a days work I'd say £250 is about right.
Official Talkback Matchday Thread Starter and all round nice guy.

#neversurrendertojimruss

Reply #159
I don't know - would trimming back 5 yew trees and a holly be a days work? I thought it would be more like 1/2 days work, but what do I know?

Apparently we have to get permission from Newark and Sherwood council as well. I need to get permission to spend money which I don't want to spend

Reply #161
Do it yourself. Who is going to take note? If eventually someone does, claim ignorance but be very keen to ask all details of how to be legal. Then make occasional comments like, "ooh, I don't think Mrs Turner across the road is aware of this, she is always trimming her bush".

Reply #162

I know chillies aren't as interesting as ducks, but I've got a bunch of habaneros coming now. Thought the ghost pepper plant had died but it appears to be making a comeback. Still no peppers on it though.

Not as interesting as ducks, strawberries or trees, but my chilli plants took off big time. Made a batch of sauce tonight. Habanero sauce is very hot and very tasty. Ghost peppers sauce is insane. Still have a big tub of chillies in the fridge and a sh!tload more on the plants still ripening. Anyone got a good sauce recipe I can try? Might as well make a few different ones.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #163

Ghost peppers sauce is insane.

Don't you have to handle these extremely carefully? I seem to recall watching a couple of YouTube videos where young bucks at American house parties made the mistake of taking a bite out of a ghost chilli in an ill-advised bid to impress some ladies.

Usually resulted in them curled up in a ball at the edge of the pool convulsing and crying for their mommy.

Reply #164
Sounds like a brilliant recipe. Can Russ try that?