Skip to main content
Topic: Gardeners' World (Read 17880 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gardeners' World

Reply #106
Just cut the lawn, with mower settings on high. This is the first time I've ever mown before March.

Reply #107

Just cut the lawn, with mower settings on high. This is the first time I've ever mown before March.

Is that wise, sir? The grass at our new place is long, and I'm keen to tidy it up, but I always thought you wrecked a lawn if you mowed it too early in the year.

Reply #108
I'm really keen to cut mine as well as it is too long, but always thought you should wait. I seem to get less cats crapping on my grass when it is short (I assume because longer grass is easier to wipe their arse on)..

Reply #109
So I don't have to bother for another month? Great!

Reply #110

Is that wise, sir? The grass at our new place is long, and I'm keen to tidy it up, but I always thought you wrecked a lawn if you mowed it too early in the year.

I thought that too, but I googled it and experts say you should mow whenever it's growing, like golf clubs do. The important thing is to only take the top off the lawn, so raise the blades of the mower first.

Reply #111

I thought that too, but I googled it and experts say you should mow whenever it's growing, like golf clubs do. The important thing is to only take the top off the lawn, so raise the blades of the mower first.

I think the other thing is not to mow the lawn early in the year when the grass is very wet. Ours is saturated at the moment.

Reply #112
I need to sort my front and back gardens out this summer, both are a wreck but nothing some dynamite couldn't cure.  The house was an end of terrace but the owner built his house on the end and, it appears, buried all the crap he generated in my garden.

Reply #113

I need to sort my front and back gardens out this summer, both are a wreck but nothing some dynamite couldn't cure.

Sounds like a bird I remember from Hull.
Official Talkback Matchday Thread Starter and all round nice guy.

#neversurrendertojimruss

Reply #114
Tried to mow the lawn yesterday on the mower's highest setting. Got about 2/3s done before the lawnmower locked up completely and now the blade won't turn at all.

Reply #115

Tried to mow the lawn yesterday on the mower's highest setting. Got about 2/3s done before the lawnmower locked up completely and now the blade won't turn at all.

You want some steel toe capped boots on then turn it with your foot until it's free. Then at least it won't look broken and you can claim it just stopped working. I've got years of experience of masking the original problem from when I've knackered some expensive piece of agricultural or horticultural equipment following experiments to see just how much work it can handle. There is always a limit. Except forage harvesters, they are indestructible. 

#neversurrendertojimruss

Reply #116
What are the odds of becoming more one-footed than Andy Reid with that approach?

Reply #117

What are the odds of becoming more one-footed than Andy Reid with that approach?

You want the boots on. Either that or bash it against a tree stump a bit.

#neversurrendertojimruss

Reply #118
First-world problem, but can't decide whether to mow the lawns tomorrow for the first time this year. Feels far too early but it is getting pretty long. I'm wondering if I might get away with a short-back-and-sides on the highest blade setting.

Reply #119
Topping it should be fine.

#neversurrendertojimruss