Skip to main content
Topic: Gardeners' World (Read 15682 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gardeners' World

Reply #225
Spent two and a half hours scarifying the lawns tonight using a new tool I bought. Then reseeded the bald patches and chucked down some compost to help the seed grow in time for this weekend's rain.

It was hard work but quite satisfying - filled more than half the wheelie bin with moss and dead grass. Green Thumb coming out to do the spring treatment in a couple of weeks.

If my lawns are not looking like bowling greens in a few weeks, I'm ringing the Daily Mail immediately.

My Friday night beers are going down quicker than usual.

I am looking to buy a scarifier - what did you use and would you recommend?

Reply #227
I'm still yet to give a flying f*ck what my grass looks like, I like to keep it short but that's about it. Is lawn care an age thing? I'll be 36 in May.

I'll be 44 in May, and I have never given a f*ck about my lawn. My lack of f*cks given reached the point last year of me digging up the grass, building a big f*ck off deck over three quarters of the garden and covering the other quarter in paving slabs, expensive stones and planters.

Lawns are bullsh!t.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #228
I am looking to buy a scarifier - what did you use and would you recommend?

Bought this one...

https://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/prod/lawn-aerator-scarifier/lawn-scarifier.htm

My lawns aren't quite large enough to justify a mechanical scarifyer. Impressed with this one. Very easy to use and cut a lot out of the grass on two sweeps.

If you have big lawns, though, you might be better to buy a lawnmower-style one. I was pretty knackered after two hours of using the manual one.

Reply #229
Bought this one...

https://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/prod/lawn-aerator-scarifier/lawn-scarifier.htm

My lawns aren't quite large enough to justify a mechanical scarifyer. Impressed with this one. Very easy to use and cut a lot out of the grass on two sweeps.

If you have big lawns, though, you might be better to buy a lawnmower-style one. I was pretty knackered after two hours of using the manual one.

I have a large lawn so looking for a petrol scarifier. Can't even find a cheap second hand one. Lawn neurosis has been growing since i turned 42. Which also corresponded with buying a house with a large lawn. Weird.

Reply #230
I'll be 44 in May, and I have never given a f*ck about my lawn. My lack of f*cks given reached the point last year of me digging up the grass, building a big f*ck off deck over three quarters of the garden and covering the other quarter in paving slabs, expensive stones and planters.

Lawns are bullsh!t.

Yes. I wouldn't really care if it wasn't for the fact that the dog picks up seemingly limitless amounts of mud to walk around the house each time he goes into the garden. The bald patches in the lawn are, possibly, larger than the bald patches on my head these days (although some way behind in % terms of course).
I'm re-evaluating the artificial grass route as my neighbour over the road had his garden done and it looks ok. I'll ask him how much it cost and all that.
In other gardening news, I managed to get out and cut the grass (what there is of it) at the weekend and do some planting in the hope of having some weather that actually allows us to sit outside and enjoy it in the next few weeks.

Reply #231
I've hired a landscape gardener who is going to remove all our grass and replace it with slabs, gravel, raised beds and a bit of artificial grass for the dog to use. I was a bit sceptical about this fake grass but he showed me some and I changed my mind. It's very convincing.

Reply #232
I've hired a landscape gardener who is going to remove all our grass and replace it with slabs, gravel, raised beds and a bit of artificial grass for the dog to use. I was a bit sceptical about this fake grass but he showed me some and I changed my mind. It's very convincing.

Yes. Doing political canvassing gives me a perfect opportunity to nosey around people's gardens and some of the artificial stuff is extremely good. Some is really sh!te of course, looking more like somone has laid green cloth over some mud, but I'm guessing you get what you pay for

Reply #233
The thing with artificial grass is that it can cause significant runoff problems. It was popular here for a while, but cities have enacted legislation against it because spring melt can't just soak into the ground any more and so it overloads the storm drains. I know that's not such an issue in the UK, but you should still consider where your rainwater is going to go if you drape what amounts to a big plastic sheet across your land.

Reply #234
The thing with artificial grass is that it can cause significant runoff problems. It was popular here for a while, but cities have enacted legislation against it because spring melt can't just soak into the ground any more and so it overloads the storm drains. I know that's not such an issue in the UK, but you should still consider where your rainwater is going to go if you drape what amounts to a big plastic sheet across your land.

Yes, that is something that I have considered. The soil is clay and drains very poorly which is one of the reasons why the lawn is so sh!t. I figured they must have some sort of permeable layer that allows water to seep through?

Reply #235
Yes, that is something that I have considered. The soil is clay and drains very poorly which is one of the reasons why the lawn is so sh!t. I figured they must have some sort of permeable layer that allows water to seep through?

Yeah, but a plastic sheet with lots of little holes in it is still a plastic sheet and the permeability is still going to be lower than that or grass-covered soil.

Reply #236
Yeah, but a plastic sheet with lots of little holes in it is still a plastic sheet and the permeability is still going to be lower than that or grass-covered soil.

Grass-covered soil? My lawn is currently more like a WWI No-Man's land than grass-covered soil. Squelching across the hallowed lack of turf, I often wonder if I could make a usable dinner service from the cloying mass of sh!te that constitutes the soil.
As it is, when we have heavy rain, it sits on the surface of the grass for quite a number of hours; really heavy rain already streams towards the bottom of the garden anyway, so I'm not sure that a plastic sheet with lots of little holes in it will make that much difference.

Reply #237
I guess it depends on how big an area you are planning to cover. Our lawn is pretty small so the impact of replacing it will be minor. Might be different if you’ve got acres of the stuff.

Reply #238
Also worse here, where it's far from uncommon to have a foot of snow turn to water in the space of 2 or 3 days.

Reply #239
After spending the whole summer doing nothing except get bigger, my Trinidad Scorpion plant has suddenly decided to bear vast quantities of fruit.