Skip to main content
Topic: Gardeners' World (Read 15151 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gardeners' World

Reply #240
I appear to have a caterpillar invasion they are very quickly eating their way through all the box hedge plants.

Reply #241
Sampled my Trinidad Scorpions this evening.

Holy sh!t.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #242
I have approx. 20m of 2' borders that I would like to fill with flowers and also some fast growing climbers that will cover the fence and shed. I'm after ground plants that an occasional waft with the hedge trimmer will sort. Ideally when we have visitors I would like them to think of me as some kind of horticultural god, which as it's all relative should be fairly easy, and that Ingo jr mk1 and mk2 will see stuff growing, if this encourages some wildlife too all the better. I'd like to plant it all in the next fortnight so I can forget about the whole sorry experience - being no longer used to working on the railroad all the live long day I'm broken today and sunburnt to f*ck after taking up the patio, edges and 10 ton of gravel so we can have a decent sized lawn - and of course I'm after cheap plants. What sort of plants do I need? So far I have one small conifer and 2 prickly things which I hope will teach the children the value of not touching sh!t you are told not to.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #243
Make the kids grow some things from seed in yoghurt pots, then have them put them in the garden. Class project style.

It's vague, but it's all I've got for you given I know little about plants, or gardens, or children.

Peas. Sweet peas. Something in the back of my mind is saying that. 

I think the slugs like them best, or something.

Reply #244
Viola are very good for planting and leaving. I put some in last year and they've spread like crazy. Very little effort required to boot.

Reply #246
Bought my 2019 chilli plants. I have jalapeno, cayenne, Devil's Tongue, habanero, chocolate scorpion and Carolina Reaper.

Ingo, suggest you plant some of these. Then you can have the "told you not to touch that" plants and the "told you not to eat that" plants.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #247
I have approx. 20m of 2' borders that I would like to fill with flowers and also some fast growing climbers that will cover the fence and shed. I'm after ground plants that an occasional waft with the hedge trimmer will sort. Ideally when we have visitors I would like them to think of me as some kind of horticultural god, which as it's all relative should be fairly easy, and that Ingo jr mk1 and mk2 will see stuff growing, if this encourages some wildlife too all the better. I'd like to plant it all in the next fortnight so I can forget about the whole sorry experience - being no longer used to working on the railroad all the live long day I'm broken today and sunburnt to f*ck after taking up the patio, edges and 10 ton of gravel so we can have a decent sized lawn - and of course I'm after cheap plants. What sort of plants do I need? So far I have one small conifer and 2 prickly things which I hope will teach the children the value of not touching sh!t you are told not to.
Sunflower growing contest always goes down well.
Anyone requiring chinning form an orderly queue

Reply #249
And they look fabulous on a nice sunny day with a blue sky behind them.

Reply #250
Appreciate the input here. Lawn went down yesterday, 90m2 and after a week of graft shoehorned around work it seems I am no longer cutout for manual labour. Last Sunday took 12 hours to shift about 8 ton of gravel and 4 ton of bricks and slabs etc out and broke me in 3 pieces.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #251
I love gardening. Find it very relaxing and the beer afterwards always goes down better after a day of manual toil.

Reply #252
Indeed it does. We had some whoppers in our garden a couple of years ago.
When I was a kid we had some massive sun flowers in the garden, they scared me sh!tless for some reason!
Still get a bit freaked out when I see one.

Reply #253
Grow some veg as well as flowers. If the kids are old enough, give them a small patch to call their own and look after. Choose easy veg like courgettes, runner beans (which look great too, on a wigwam of canes) or even spuds if you have room.