Skip to main content
Topic: Gardeners' World (Read 17133 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gardeners' World

Reply #195
I've given up on gardening; last 3 years trying to grow tomatoes have yielded about 2 punnets of fruit.
Given that the tending of said plants is done during work time I reckon those tomatoes have likely cost my customers tens if not hundreds of pounds per fruit. I managed to grow one onion and a handful of potatoes in the same period.

But last week we had a decorator in and for reasons I don't quite understand one day he gave me a coriander plant. He'd told me the day before and the way he described it I imagined something I was going to need a machete to get under control. What turned up was a pot with a sad looking inch high sprout. I stuck it in the corner of the garden; intending to bin it once he had gone and feelings did not need to be spared. I've tried to grow coriander before and it was even less successful than my attempts at onions.

But I saw it today and it's grown to two feet high. I'm thinking I should leave it alone as it's best chances don't involve my gardening skills.

Reply #196
Pondering whether, the next time I mow the lawn, to experiment with up and down, rather than across on a slight diagonal as on previous attempts.

Reply #197
Cutting edge stuff.
Boy am I going to look even more stupid than usual when we romp to a 3-0 win.

Reply #198
Pondering whether, the next time I mow the lawn, to experiment with up and down, rather than across on a slight diagonal as on previous attempts.

Interestingly, I'm the opposite. Currently on a diagonal mow.

In other exciting news, I'm battling three ants' nests in the lawn - little buggers proving hard to shift and making a right mess of the grass.

Reply #199
Interestingly, I'm the opposite. Currently on a diagonal mow.

In other exciting news, I'm battling three ants' nests in the lawn - little buggers proving hard to shift and making a right mess of the grass.
I have to cut my grass....currently looking a bit wildflower meadow.  Also need to investigate the ants nest humps I stamped down in the wet.  See if the little b@stards have rebuilt.
Probably wont bother any time soon.  I like meadows.

Reply #201
The only way to deal with ants is fire.

Ingo Snr once had an ants nest next to his to ornate conifers. A litre or so of petrol later and the job was sorted. There was collateral damage.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #202
Have you tried the Nippon Sachet stuff?

No, sprinkled some stuff down on Saturday which could also be mixed in with water and poured over, so thought that was a good option given the amount of rain at the moment. Need to get out and see if it's made any difference - I doubt it.

Reply #203
No, sprinkled some stuff down on Saturday which could also be mixed in with water and poured over, so thought that was a good option given the amount of rain at the moment. Need to get out and see if it's made any difference - I doubt it.

I think that's similar stuff. As long as you aren't wasting time with the powder.

Reply #204
Blitz popcorn kernels in the blender to make a powder and spread that around where the ants are. Works a treat.

Reply #205
Blitz popcorn kernels in the blender to make a powder and spread that around where the ants are. Works a treat.

What, that kills them? Or do they just go out and buy a big TV and a Netflix subscription?

Reply #206
Popcorn my arse. The only language they understand is fire.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #207
They eat it cause it smells so good to their little noses but they can't digest it so they starve to death. Cruel, gruesome and you've not set fire to your garden.

Reply #208
You guys spend a lot of time and energy worrying about ants...

Reply #209
You guys spend a lot of time and energy worrying about ants...

I'm currently spending around 80 quid a year on seasonal lawn treatments (don't tell Ingo...), so could do without three or four large barren patches of grass spoiling the aesthetic.

But you're right, of course. It's the very definition of a first-world problem.