Skip to main content
Topic: Gardeners' World (Read 17136 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gardeners' World

Reply #181

Isn't that just what pigeons regard as 'mating'?

Have you considered a bit of criminal defence practice, m'lud? I like bit of mating and a competent lawyer might be handy on occasion. There also seems like there's a fair bit of murdering goes on from here, Death himself surely has a case or two to answer, and Jim likes a dip in a flatmates knicker draw.... So there should be plenty of work.

Reply #184
Anyone bought an electric scarifier for the lawn?

I've decided to invest some time and effort this year into sorting ours out and have already discovered that raking out the moss and dead stuff by hand is both time-consuming and back-breaking.

Looks like you can pick up a fairly basic one from Argos for about 80 sheets. If I've got to scarify a number of times a year, it might save some time down the line.

Reply #185
Found a green football (not mine) in a bit of the garden I hadn't previously cut back yesterday. Pretty sure it must have belonged the the previous (nearly 2 years now) occupants. No forwarding address, so tough luck, it's mine now!

Reply #186
Could it be a melon?

Reply #188
Found a green football (not mine) in a bit of the garden I hadn't previously cut back yesterday. Pretty sure it must have belonged the the previous (nearly 2 years now) occupants. No forwarding address, so tough luck, it's mine now!

Wow. What a result.

Reply #190
Planted some JalapeƱos about 4 weeks or so ago.

Have them getting plenty of sun by the patio window and they've grown pretty big so I've re-potted them in a larger pot with fresh compost and they seem to be doing well.
Dunno if they'll fruit or not, but if they do they'll be all over some nachos.

Reply #191
Attempted to get rid of three large ant nests in the middle of the garden. Have made a bit of a mess of the lawn...

Reply #192
Attempted to get rid of three large ant nests in the middle of the garden. Have made a bit of a mess of the lawn...

What did you do? I have same problem and want to learn from your mistakes!!

Reply #193
What did you do? I have same problem and want to learn from your mistakes!!

To be fair, the mounds were bereft of grass anyway, but I eased some of the soil back with a fork and poured a kettle of boiling water down. Hopefully it will grow back in time.

Thing is, you need to kill the queen to destroy the nest and apparently she's often deep underground.

Nippon Gel is supposed to be pretty good. Might go with that next if this doesn't work.

Reply #194
To be fair, the mounds were bereft of grass anyway, but I eased some of the soil back with a fork and poured a kettle of boiling water down. Hopefully it will grow back in time.

Thing is, you need to kill the queen to destroy the nest and apparently she's often deep underground.

Nippon Gel is supposed to be pretty good. Might go with that next if this doesn't work.

I would suggest consulting Ingo if you need further attempts. His recommendation will probably involve an SDS drill and a significant quantity of petrol, it might not be successful but it will be fun.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do