Skip to main content
Topic: Gardeners' World (Read 17050 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gardeners' World

Reply #15
We had an allotment but the birth of our youngest last year put paid to any reasonable amount of time using it as it's a fair way away. Instead we've gone for it at home where we've placed 4 decent sized raised beds on a concrete hardstanding at the back of the garden. Plus an array of pots. So far, we're growing:

- Carrots
- Red, White and Spring Onions
- 2 different types of cauliflower (ordinary ones and those green spirally ones)
- Broccoli and Purple Sprouting Broccoli
- Peas
- Little Gem Lettuce and Salad crops
- Courgettes
- Tromboncino (climbing squash, a bit like a courgette)
- Beetroot
- Brussels Sprouts
- Tomatoes in pots (from a friend of mine - no idea what varieties, he just said "those are the ordinary ones and these are the small ones")
- Rhubarb (in an old water tank thing)
- Potatoes in bags

(we'll probably end up with the square root of fcuk all)

We've also got a big apple tree in the garden, a small (but very productive) pear tree and a fig tree in a pot that has provided a few figs (it probably needs to come out of it's pot and be planted in the ground
I wouldn't recommend being a student to anyone.....
.......except to students

Reply #16
This is very nice little thread. And very appropriate for the weather, and the season.

Reply #17
I have two flower beds in my back garden which produced a bumper crop of parsley, mint, rosemary and sage for two years running.  In year three now and the mint has died while the others are looking a little sad.  Am toying with digging the whole lot up and starting again.  I too have cultivated some sort of bind weed thing that strangles the herbs, as annoying as it is I'm very impressed with how hard the thing works.

Reply #18

I mainly have grass, but last year I also managed to cultivate some of that bind weed type stuff, I'm hoping for a bigger crop this year

I'm not sure you should be making public your cultivation of grass.

Reply #19

fig tree in a pot that has provided a few figs (it probably needs to come out of it's pot and be planted in the ground

If you research this I think you'll find that you should keep the fig in a pot. Apparently, it likes a confined space for its roots.

Reply #20
There are strawberries and mint growing in my garden, neither of which I had anything to do with. 

I was planning on making an effort and getting into this growing stuff malarkey this year but haven't got round to it yet

Reply #21

If you research this I think you'll find that you should keep the fig in a pot. Apparently, it likes a confined space for its roots.

I didn't know that (although I hadn't researched that - I'd just assumed) I shall leave it where it is in that case.
I wouldn't recommend being a student to anyone.....
.......except to students

Reply #22
If my fig tree is anything to go by (in the garden, the size of a garage, and laden with fruit every summer) I suspect its toss.

Reply #23
Restricting root growth encourages fruiting says the RHS

Reply #24

If my fig tree is anything to go by (in the garden, the size of a garage, and laden with fruit every summer) I suspect its toss.

When did you plant a fig tree?
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #27
My garden is full of bougainvillea, a lemon tree and some Chiltepe hot peppers. My Mrs. does all the gardening whilst I observe & do occasional "beer management" activities.

Reply #28
I've always fancied owning a hammock.
Meet the New c*nts.

Same as the Old c*nts.

Reply #29
how do i go about growing some ganja (man)?
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to