Skip to main content
Topic: Smartphones and handheld computers (Read 40006 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Smartphones and handheld computers

Reply #690
Have you considered upgrading your trousers to the kind with pockets?

A modern phone in the pocket of a modern pair of trousers.  Are you crazy?

Reply #691
Have you thought of keeping it with your keys and wallet, that you don't lose?

Reply #692
Maybe sellotape it to your hand?

Reply #693
Have you thought of keeping it with your keys and wallet, that you don't lose?

This is definitely turning into a prevention rather than cure scenario. 

Reply #694
Sometimes prevention is the best option. What's better if stabbing yourself in the eye hurts? Take painkillers, or stop stabbing yourself in the eye?

Reply #695
Sometimes prevention is the best option. What's better if stabbing yourself in the eye hurts? Take painkillers, or stop stabbing yourself in the eye?

All I asked was does someone know a good way to locate your phone after you've misplaced it.  Not should I self mutilate?

Reply #696
Basically the same thing.

Reply #697
Thanks but I should have mentioned I don't have a home computer.  I do have a home phone. 

How are you typing this then?

Simple solution.

Buy a laptop. Install Kubuntu, KDE Neon or a Linux distribution of your choice and add the KDE Desktop Environment. Install the KDE Connect app on your phone. You can control your phone from your laptop, and it has a find phone feature.

Reply #698
GSConnect extension on the gnome desktop (Debian, centos, fedora).

Reply #699
Well I found a way that covers most bases.  Instead of setting the phone to silent put it into do not disturb mode and add my home phone number as a favourite contact and then add favourite contacts to the do not disturb exceptions.  I can continue being careless with my phone when at home.

Reply #700
Hoorah

Reply #702
Looking for a Christmas present for Little Miss Redeye. She's 6 and school seems to be expecting her to have access to certain apps and websites which are all available and functioning on the Android. Perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone..... She's been playing about with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 which I'd given up on years ago and managed to get some stuff working, but the Play Store doesn't work (F-Droid does!) and it is running Android 3.2.

Looking at 8-10" tablets, sub-£200 - preferably closer to £100 but at the same time I'd like it to last two or three years. Tempted by a Kindle Kids 8HD thing, are the Kindle tablets any use? I've read about having to side load Google Play - I'm a bit of a geek, but I can't be arsed spending Christmas day trying to side-load Google Play and there's no way I'd be organised enough in advance to do it.

Suggestions? Please!

Reply #703
There is an Amazon app store (or there was 3 years ago) it may be worth checking if the apps you need are on that.

Reply #704
I have to be honest, I'm completely out of touch with tablets. It seems to me that they've mainly died, except at the high end for geriatrics.

I asked around my contacts with the kids, and they are all using phones.

The 8HD is the one to have, as far as I can tell. The best feature is the kids bundle (a years subscription) so check that has value for you. Google play might be easy or difficult. It seems that some people have got it working easily in the past.

Wouldn't touch one with a barge poll myself.

They are only quad core and 2gb. Buy her a phone instead. There are similar specced non Amazon android's on Argos. I can't really offer you more that see what you fancy on there.

Perhaps a Lenovo Tab 4 8?