Skip to main content
Topic: Mundane Moments (Read 635537 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Mundane Moments

Reply #11010
Is it your fight? A rebuff should surely make them at least think why are we not appealing.
It's bacterial. It's a virus. It's Russian.

Reply #11011
Is it your fight? A rebuff should surely make them at least think why are we not appealing.

It isn't, but part of me thinks that someone who is probably old enough to be considered an industry veteran providing decent advice is the kind of thing that startups value, and Toronto is a small town. It doesn't do any harm to have someone remember your name for the right reasons.

Anyway, I sent her a note and I don't think she was too pissy with me.

Thanks for your note. I very recently started in my current role, so I must politely decline your invitation.

If I may be so bold, I think the salary that you're offering is rather low for someone with the qualifications you're looking for. A sales exec with a few years' good track record in technology sales will be making $XK+ in Toronto; for the $Y-ZK you're offering I think your best hope is a graduate trainee with little or no sales experience. There are plenty of inside sales roles that offer well over $ZK - I would suggest you search on "Account Director" on LinkedIn and Glassdoor and have a look at what others are offering for similar field-based sales positions.

I'm not trying to cause offence, but I know how difficult and time consuming recruitment can be for a startup business and don't want you spinning your wheels looking for something that may well not be there. Wishing you all the best.

Kind regards

Russell

Hello Russell,

Thanks for your consideration and advice. We will definitely look those roles up and calibrate accordingly.

Have a lovely weekend,
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #11012
Passive aggressive. She thinks you're a total dick and is throwing darts at a picture of you.

Reply #11013
Gillette Razor - Mach3 I believe, badger shaving brush and Taylors of Old Bond Street Shaving cream

Used to be gel, switched back the brush and shaving cream about 6 months ago, had forgotten how much better a shave it was.

Reply #11014
Passive aggressive. She thinks you're a total dick and is throwing darts at a picture of you.

Could definitely read that way. No biggie, she definitely won't be the first and is very unlikely to be the last.

Reply #11015
Made the last minute decision to work from home yesterday. Had a call from the CEO early afternoon that started with "This isn't an easy call to make, I have some upsetting news". Thought he was going to tell me that they were giving me the heave-ho, but it turns out that a chap from the sales team had passed away. He didn't really tell me any details and I didn't ask for them, but it rather sounds like it wasn't an accident.

Anyway, I was grateful to be working at home. I've been with the company six weeks and didn't know the guy beyond saying hello to him, so had I been in the office when they told everyone I would have had the choice of being emotionless about it, which I am but would have made me look like a hardhearted b@stard, or feigning emotion, which is the worst thing in the world to do.

Reply #11016
Mrs BW took Little Miss BW to her annual dance school awards night this evening. I was told that attendance wasn't a three-line whip - apparently Little Miss BW would be off playing with her friends and Mrs BW chatting to the other dance mums.

I was encouraged to take the night off (an extreme rarity on a Saturday) so dropped them off at 7.30pm and headed home. Just over an hour later, I'm stretched out on the sofa with a film and a beer on the go when I get a call from Mrs BW. She says I need to come straight away because Little Miss BW has cracked her face on the floor while larking around with her friends and the resident first-aider (a nurse) feels she ought to get checked out at A&E because she might have broken her nose.

Got back a short while ago after thankfully getting the all-clear. Little Miss BW tired, sore and grumpy, and has lost a couple of hours' sleep ahead of an early start in the morning. That should be fun. 

Reply #11017
I appear to have offended my mates mrs for mocking their dogs happy birthday banner.

If you highlight sarcasm with an abbreviation or a picture then it ceases to be sarcasm.

What a time to be alive.

Reply #11018
You heartless b@stard. How could you not be in awe of a dog that not only is aware of the Gregorian calendar and the point within it that they were born, but also can read.

Shame on you. Even Dr Dolittle would have been impressed.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #11019
What goes around comes around, come the day of the glorious climate emergency these people will be giving their rations to their pet, rather than eating it as a main course.

Reply #11020
Booked tickets for the London Eye.

Reply #11021
Was instructed that today we were going shopping for a coffee table, in a way that made it very clear that it wasn't an invitation. Four hours later we are home and still have no coffee table.

Reply #11022
Was instructed that today we were going shopping for a coffee table, in a way that made it very clear that it wasn't an invitation. Four hours later we are home and still have no coffee table.

What is it about coffee tables that makes them so hard to buy? When we moved into our first house many years ago it took Mrs KM about six months to find the right one. Moving to our present house, it was another eight months. A coffee table is a coffee table isn't it?

When you do finally get one, make sure it's top quality so you do t have to go through buying another one for a very long time.

Reply #11023
When I bought a coffee table I did because a friend had one that developed a minor split on the top face, and had it replaced. He sold me the second that they didn't want back. Solid oak. Done ten years. Don't expect to ever replace it, but might sand and re-glue it every now and again.

I have never been furniture shopping. 

Bought hardwood king size frame online, a custom sized mattress online, built a walk in wardrobe out of MDF.

Anything to avoid going into a shop. That way lies madness.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #11024
When I bought a coffee table I did because a friend had one that developed a minor split on the top face, and had it replaced. He sold me the second that they didn't want back. Solid oak. Done ten years. Don't expect to ever replace it, but might sand and re-glue it every now and again.

I have never been furniture shopping.

Bought hardwood king size frame online, a custom sized mattress online, built a walk in wardrobe out of MDF.

Anything to avoid going into a shop. That way lies madness.

Apparently we're after a particular kind of coffee table. It has a glass top and a wood base and has some kind of designer name. Google tells me it's a Noguchi table, but you can't just buy any Noguchi table. You have to have a particular finish to the wood, which not many suppliers do. And the one we found that does can't get it to us before March, which is also a problem because despite not having had a coffee table for five years I am told that it is now essential that we have it by next weekend.