Skip to main content
Topic: Mundane Moments (Read 388498 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Mundane Moments

Reply #9255
John Moloney is quite good in parts. I tend to mentally write him off as not the brightest tool in the box because he's one of those die-hard "the magic grandpa can do no wrong" Corbynites, but I think he's quite funny. Just hope he doesn't do much political stuff, otherwise you'll biting your fist.

Reply #9256
The political stuff could be risky in a private school hall in SW London.  I doubt the audience will be fall of Corbyn supporters.

Reply #9257
Just got up. Am dreadfully hungover.

Reply #9259
Why can't I watch it?

Reply #9261
Went to pick up some refurb IT bits, for a test project. Was handed them by Tank (the former IFC one, not the boost lover). He is better after his aneurysm, just returned to work, and despite a limp and a bonus loss of weight, is fine and chipper.

Reply #9262
Back at work after 4 days off. Both the lighting board op and my interim deputy have handed in their notice. Great.
I might still be handing in mine if 'the powers that be' insist on their proposed restructure that will leave my position untenable. The deputy resigning might just bring that to a head sooner rather than later.

Reply #9263
Back at work after 4 days off. Both the lighting board op and my interim deputy have handed in their notice. Great.
I might still be handing in mine if 'the powers that be' insist on their proposed restructure that will leave my position untenable. The deputy resigning might just bring that to a head sooner rather than later.
Could be the right time to ask / demand a rise
Anyone requiring chinning form an orderly queue

Reply #9264
Pay rates are via a management / union agreement. Whilst the grades are 'minimum' rates of pay they aren't going to give me a raise.

Reply #9265
Attended a ceremony at a war memorial this morning. Total silence in a large crowd (at Forest, for example) can be very moving. You can almost see and touch the quiet. But I wonder if interest in Remembrance Sunday will begin to tail off now the 100th anniversary has gone. We've become very Diana-ish over it in recent years, not that Lest We Forget has made us any the less likely to sell arms so that countries like Saudi Arabia can continue to prosecute their own hideous wars.

Reply #9266
I think that after 100 years you have to put a war to rest. There's an awful lot that this country needs to do to move on, like getting rid of the monarchy and stopping fetishising the Victorians and their empire. The great set-piece ceremonial around Lutyens' cenotaph proably needs to end. We csn and should remember the fallen of more recent conflicts in different ways.

Reply #9267
There's a lot of mawkish scrutiny, a fair bit of virtue signaling, and a disgusting attitude to people who might have their own reasons for remembering in a different way, or from a different perspective, or not at all. Like so much these days it's all a bit cultist and driven by the thought police. I think we need a long hard look at ourselves and our attitudes to a lot of things.

Actually do some things that you believe in, for your own reasons rather than 'the public perception', instead of just making committee agreed gestures that are designed to label people as "good" or "bad". Until we as a society actually embrace freedom of thought, speech, and expression, we are truly f*cked. We're going backwards, not forwards.

Reply #9268
If people are too lazy to learn a bit of history or so deluded by hate then a couple of hours one Sunday morning a year to spare a thought for fear and slaughter beyond comprehension is time well spent, IMO.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #9269
Sure if that's what they are doing, rather than just following what is socially expected of them.

In an era where the Minister for Northern Ireland was completely unaware of the practical implications of sectarianism, and the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union had not noticed that we are an island, and that the Dover-Calais trade route was therefore quite important, my hopes are not high.