Skip to main content
Topic: The Film Thread (Read 157753 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Film Thread

Reply #2745
I didn't dismiss animation as a complete genre, I said I don't enjoy watching it. It's no different to someone saying they don't like horror movies or romcoms. There are movies in both genres that are masterpieces that transcend the genre (Alien, Love Actually, The Exorcist, Groundhog Day, The Blair Witch Project, Annie Hall), but someone choosing to not watch them because they don't enjoy movies of that style is not moronic.

You've just killed your own argument there.

Reply #2746
If kids films don't interest you, it makes more sense to avoid kids films than animated films.

I generally do, although that depends upon how you define "kids' films". There are plenty who would argue that the entire MCU fits that bill.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #2747
You've just killed your own argument there.

If you say so. It's not really one I'm that fussed about having, TBH. As noodle says, "I don't like animation movies" is really no different to "I don't like jazz music". Not sure there's really much point in arguing about whether it's moronic to hold a subjective view about something that's entirely subjective.

Reply #2748
I didn't dismiss animation as a complete genre, I said I don't enjoy watching it. It's no different to someone saying they don't like horror movies or romcoms. There are movies in both genres that are masterpieces that transcend the genre (Alien, Love Actually, The Exorcist, Groundhog Day, The Blair Witch Project, Annie Hall), but someone choosing to not watch them because they don't enjoy movies of that style is not moronic.

Love actually a masterpiece?

Reply #2749
It's a very debatable list, but the broad point stands.

It's like your dungeons and dragons with tits television show. I'm sure it's a great dungeons and dragons show. Especially with the tits.

Some of us are just not interested though.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #2751
Love actually a masterpiece?

f*ck yes. Richard Curtis at his best. That's not to say that Four Weddings and Notting Hill aren't also brilliant films, but Love Actually is his finest work.

Reply #2752
On which channel can this be found?

HBO. It's better known as Game Of Thrones, although Tricky's description is perfectly correct. And he's right, the whole "I'M SO PROUD THAT I'VE NEVER SEEN AN EPISODE OF GAME OF THRONES" vs "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE MISSING IT'S BRILLIANT" argument is tedious and stupid.

Either you like your tits served with a side of dragons, or you don't. (I'm assuming here that we can at least all agree that tits are good.) There's no badge of honour for having never seen it, or for having watched every episode so many times that you can recite the entire credit roll.

Reply #2753
f*ck yes. Richard Curtis at his best. That's not to say that Four Weddings and Notting Hill aren't also brilliant films, but Love Actually is his finest work.

Four Weddings and Notting Hill are not brilliant films but I did like Love Actually so I will give you that..

HBO is splendid for many reason because they take chances and some of their stuff is spectacular and others meh but give 'em credit you've got to be in it to win it.  As for Game of Thrones, well we have covered this enough.  It was good/great until it wasn't...

Chicago: Moving on. 
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #2754
Love, Actually is a steaming turd of a movie. However, I'll also acknowledge that it probably got me at exactly the wrong time of my life, and that, as with much art, the viewer brings a lot of themselves into it.

Therefore, it's wrong and fun to judge people for liking/disliking the wrong TV/movies etc

Reply #2756
I generally do, although that depends upon how you define "kids' films". There are plenty who would argue that the entire MCU fits that bill.

Indeed.

The economics of Big Hollywood Blockbusters make it very hard to make pure "kids movies" any more. Everything has to appeal to an adult audience too.

Superhero movies, Star Wars movies, James Bond movies etc are all, at heart, pre-adolescent emotionless spectacle. The very opposite of adult.

Pixar movies are much more emotional, character-led, ambiguous and sophisticated. The Toy Story films are witter, better acted, more intelligent and more moving than any of the recent summer blockbuster series.

Into the Spiderverse looks cool but doesn't mine the emotional depths of Pixar. Nevertheless, it is stunning looking, doing genuinely new things that have never been done in film before.

Reply #2757
Just wait until Little Miss Shady gets into "The Next Step"; you'll be crying out for her to watch Toy Story.

We had the horror that was "The Piglet Movie" fortunately I never watched it as I went to "man" films with the lad, but Mrs LR watched that at least 5 times at the cinema - it is still guaranteed to make her wince at the very mention of the name.

Reply #2758
Good lord. Never go with children to the cinema.

That's how serial killers are made.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #2759
Spiderverse is indeed brilliant, my boy has watched it countless times and it's one of the few of his films I'm happy to rewatch.

I've never seen Love Actually because I know it will be sh!t, rather proving Russ's point.