Skip to main content
Topic: The Film Thread (Read 157347 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Film Thread

Reply #2655

I watched 'Shaft'.

If you like Samuel being Samuel, it's ace.  If you don't then don't bother.

Reply #2656
Watched a French horror film called Raw last night. Quite a movie. Not one for the squeamish or faint of heart.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #2657
I presume it was about sashimi then.

Reply #2660
Kermode raved about it.

It was excellent, it felt far more real and visceral than most horror movies do these days. It was a pleasing change from the CGI-based jumpscare bullsh!t that 90% of them are.

Reply #2661
I think CGI has essential ruined modern mainstream movies, along with superhero franchises. I mean the hyperreal I can see can engage you. The completely f*cking bonkers not so much.

You have to feel as if it's real to care. If take an Alan Alda middle class dark comedy of manners over most modern bullsh!t.

Reply #2662
I think CGI has essential ruined modern mainstream movies, along with superhero franchises. I mean the hyperreal I can see can engage you. The completely f*cking bonkers not so much.

You have to feel as if it's real to care. If take an Alan Alda middle class dark comedy of manners over most modern bullsh!t.

I agree to some extent, although the suspension of disbelief required for the MCU movies allows me to go with the CGI in those (not to mention that it's done to an excellent standard anyway). Definitely in horror movies though CGI is all too often used as a substitute for genuine dread rather than a prop to it.

If you like horror movies, watch Raw.

Reply #2663
Not really a fan. I quite liked 'It follows' or whatever it was called a few years ago. The 'I f*ck you and you're it' one.

Reply #2664
I agree to some extent, although the suspension of disbelief required for the MCU movies allows me to go with the CGI in those (not to mention that it's done to an excellent standard anyway). Definitely in horror movies though CGI is all too often used as a substitute for genuine dread rather than a prop to it.

If you like horror movies, watch Raw.

I watched this yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4nGxX2mHOs

VFX artists talking about VFX.  They make some interesting comments between practical special effect (which they call 'real', and CGI in the Jurassic park franchise.

Reply #2665
Watching T2 Transpotting. Distinctly average, apart from Irvine Welsh getting as many Young Fathers songs as he can in the soundtrack.

Did Danny Boyle read the script before he signed up? He's clearly gone missing as far as the screenplay is concerned. It's clunky dogsh!t.

Reply #2666
John Wick 3.  Stupifyingly ridiculous. Check brain at the door.  Even if you do, be prepared to be very annoyed by the motivational incongruities.

With that said, perfectly entertaining.

Reply #2667
1 and 2 much better.  It got a tad boring at the end as it was essentially the same thing over and over again.

I was disappointed. 

The only film I have seen since was First Man.  It has a moody Ryan Gosling and it’s well filmed and then it just ends.... good potential but ultimately left me cold. 

Is there anything good at the moment?

Chicago:  Filmless.
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #2668
I think CGI has essential ruined modern mainstream movies, along with superhero franchises.

This is the most correct thing you have ever written. Gold star. I have no interest in "superheros" at all and find the whole thing a bit weird. It's just bollocks, utter utter bollocks.
Official Talkback Matchday Thread Starter and all round nice guy.

#neversurrendertojimruss

Reply #2669
Toy Story 4 is great.

It’s a kids film.

But it’s a great one.
this is an excellent rectangle