Skip to main content
Topic: The Film Thread (Read 199585 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Film Thread

Reply #2775
Oh lordy no. I've watched There Will Be Blood a couple of times. It's monstrously dull. And Under The Skin at 4? It's OK, but it's not the 4th best movie of the last 20 years.

This is typical pompous critic rubbish.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #2776
Ted is higher up the list than Leave No Trace and A Prophet.

Requiem For A Dream, one of the hardest hitting movies I've ever seen, is at number 80, 50 places behind the hugely overrated Gravity.

This list is absolute hogwash.

Reply #2777
Saw Rocketman on the plane last week, which I thought was surprisingly good. Looking forward to finding out what's available on the flight back to UK tonight.

Reply #2780
I assume Toy Story 1, and Wall E?

Reply #2781
1st Toy Story would be too old for that list wouldn't it

Reply #2782
I assume Toy Story 1, and Wall E?

The two I saw were The Incredibles and Spirited Away. No Toy Story movies are on there (the first two were not 21st century), nor is Wall-E.

Ted is though. You know, the one with Mark Wahlberg and the sweary teddy bear. 6oth best movie of the last 20 years, apparently. Better than Arrival, which isn't in the top 100.

Reply #2783
Also, Persepolis.

Reply #2784
The two I saw were The Incredibles and Spirited Away. No Toy Story movies are on there (the first two were not 21st century), nor is Wall-E.

Ted is though. You know, the one with Mark Wahlberg and the sweary teddy bear. 6oth best movie of the last 20 years, apparently. Better than Arrival, which isn't in the top 100.

Haven't seen Ted.

Spirited Away is good in lots of ways. Not a great milestone in cinema though. My daughter loves those Studio Ghibli films.

Incredibles is very entertaining but no Wall-E.

Reply #2785
Also, Persepolis.

I haven't seen it. Reading a precis, if I were going to watch a cartoon I would definitely gravitate towards that versus something from Pixar. Have you seen it?

Reply #2786
Yes. It's an arthouse film, much less in your face and calculated and Hollywood than a Pixar movie. Flat and 2D and black and white and serious, based on the graphic novel of the same name. It's very good (but it still didn't emotionally involve me as much as the Toy Story films or blow me away visually like the Spiderverse movie. I may be shallow.)

Reply #2788
It's a pretty conventional viewpoint:

Quote from: Empire
The animated form is a perfect bedfellow for the Miles Morales origin story. It’s a wonder the studios haven’t taken the medium more seriously, given how closely it sits with the source — and never more so than in this highly stylised take, a 3D world given a 2D sheen, all primary colours and CMYK-printed bluntness. This is not a cheap Saturday-morning kids’ cartoon: it’s a gorgeously realised alternative world, dripping with invention and energetic action that explodes from the screen. Frankly, it’s like nothing we’ve ever seen before.

Quote from: The Verge
Audiences have raved about the film’s unique aesthetics just as much as the story itself. The film’s eclectic, ambitious, constantly shifting visuals — which range from deliberately cartoony to abstract and psychedelic — are likely to help inspire a new wave of animators to start pushing past the Pixar Animation house style that so many animation studios are now rigorously emulating.

Why Spiderverse has the most inventive visuals you'll see this year

Reply #2789
Mrs B’s turn to pick film today. Downton Abbey. Nil storyline and total tosh.

1.7 fish fingers
Sorry if my patriotism offends you. Trust me your lack of spine offends me more