Skip to main content
Topic: The Plague, 2020 (Read 50367 times) previous topic - next topic
podnli and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: The Plague, 2020

Reply #3555
Where did this man get his education?

This is still the fallout from, "Welcome to This morning.  We're going to talk about disease.  Here's an eminent, highly qualified epidemiologist along with Doris, who's been reading facebook.  We're going to pretend both their views are eaually valid, but first, over to Tom, who's dumbing down complex socio-political questions so he can ask them to random people in the street and pretend those views are in any way worthwhile"

I am being slightly disingenuous. He studied at a lesser London University, and while he is successful in his chosen career that career is one of being a model (mainly print and advertising for some of the big fashion houses, possibly also some catwalk stuff) so he's not doing anything that requires him to think or behave in a remotely rational manner. Still, he's a successful member of society with a nice house and a good income and a vote.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #3556
...He studied at a lesser London University....

..I bet it wasn't lesser than mine. It's really no mitigating factor.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #3557
I am being slightly disingenuous. He studied at a lesser London University, and while he is successful in his chosen career that career is one of being a model (mainly print and advertising for some of the big fashion houses, possibly also some catwalk stuff) so he's not doing anything that requires him to think or behave in a remotely rational manner. Still, he's a successful member of society with a nice house and a good income and a vote.

Perhaps he really made his money gambling on the Grand National.

Reply #3558
Perhaps he really made his money gambling on the Grand National.

Not if he was backing every horse he didn't.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #3559
Well I’m convinced.

Reply #3560
In Finland the curriculum includes lessons in spotting online sh!thousery.  It seems to work.

I wonder if we could do that here...

Actually...

These objectives are from the "Managing Online Information" strand of the Education for a Connected World framework at the link above which came out last year. There are eight strands. Astonishingly, it is something useful from the DfE! We'd started using it in school before everything became weird.

Early Years - 7
  • I can explain the difference between things that are
    imaginary, ‘made up’ or ‘make believe’ and things
    that are ‘true’ or ‘real’.
    I can explain why some information I find online may
    not be true.
7 - 11
  • I can demonstrate the strategies I would
    apply to be discerning in evaluating
    digital content.
    I can describe how some online
    information can be opinion and can offer
    examples.
    I can explain how and why some people
    may present ‘opinions’ as ‘facts’.
    I can define the terms ‘influence’,
    ‘manipulation’ and ‘persuasion’ and
    explain how I might encounter these online
    (e.g. advertising and ‘ad targeting’).
    I can demonstrate strategies to enable
    me to analyse and evaluate the validity of
    ‘facts’ and I can explain why using these
    strategies are important.
    I can identify, flag and report
    inappropriate content.

11 - 14
  • I can explain how social media can amplify,
    weaken or distort the apparent strength, validity,
    or popularity of an idea, belief or opinion by being
    shared between and reinforced by like-minded
    individuals; (e.g. an ‘echo-chamber’).
    I can explain how online anonymity may permit
    some people to express extreme views or abusive
    comments; I can assess how social media may
    create the impression that more people hold these
    views than actually do.
    I can explain how contributors to social media may
    be ‘social bots’.
    I can analyse and evaluate the reliability and validity
    of online information based on content as well as
    appearance.

Reply #3561
I think most of the people being extremely stupid on the internet completed their education some time ago. I reckon many people who grew up in a world where most things ‘published’ had some ounce of credibility behind just haven’t adjusted to a world where anyone can publish anything... further complicated by traditional media amplifying the bullsh!t because most journalists and media go shores are as dumb as the rest of us.

The people being educated today will be better equipped to deal with online bulllsh!t and related contagion because they are growing up with it.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #3562
that Dominic Cummings eh?

Obviously following what happened to Neil Ferguson and the Scottish Chief Medical Officer, he'll be out of a job in the next day or so. Stands to reason.

Reply #3563
that Dominic Cummings eh?

Obviously following what happened to Neil Ferguson and the Scottish Chief Medical Officer, he'll be out of a job in the next day or so. Stands to reason.

What people don’t seem to be considering is that maybe he hates his parents and wanted to kill them.

Reply #3567
Surely lockdown is over if he doesn’t resign. (Which he won’t).

I’d quite like to visit my parents.

Reply #3568
I don't like the way that narrative is being drawn. He gets to stay in his job and create a chaotic situation of spreading the virus by others going f*ck it, it's a free for all now. Cummings wins twice that way. We should all stay home and relentlessly demand his resignation.

Reply #3569
Everything is a useful distraction, taking up the bandwidth of public discourse....but it would serve us well to keep our eyes on the prize.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.