Skip to main content
Topic: General Politics Thread (Read 15664 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Politics Thread

Reply #780
No. Only those that were imperial powers, so you're only talking about a very small number of countries. Britain, France, Spain, Portugal and Belgium all have an imperial legacy and history that leads their population to believe they are inherently superior to other countries.

Of course people in other countries will have a certain level of belief that they are the best, but they don't have a history of enforcing their beliefs across the world.

I think you are missing two quite big 20th century super-powers off your list.

Reply #781
Boris Johnson is just lying. It has been incredibly hard for local authorities to get data and information from the beginning of the crisis. It won't be a shock that he's a liar but still makes my blood boil that he just stands and lies while people are sick and losing their jobs

So an MP can call the PM a liar in public, without challenge (because it's demonstrably true), but cannot call them a liar in the chamber. The current rogue government , operating against the best interests of the people, is nothing but a shill organisation.  They tell people what they want to hear, without challenge, do not engage in scrutiny, or operate as an honest actor, and just go ahead and do whatever they want behind the the lies (including the opposite on policy, ignoring their own guidelines and laws, shovelling public money into unqualified private hands, removing the rights and privileges of the people, as well as crippling the countries opportunity and economic welfare).

There is no process of redress against this, for a government with a parliamentary majority.

How do you feel about all that?
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #783
So an MP can call the PM a liar in public, without challenge (because it's demonstrably true), but cannot call them a liar in the chamber. The current rogue government , operating against the best interests of the people, is nothing but a shill organisation.  They tell people what they want to hear, without challenge, do not engage in scrutiny, or operate as an honest actor, and just go ahead and do whatever they want behind the the lies (including the opposite on policy, ignoring their own guidelines and laws, shovelling public money into unqualified private hands, removing the rights and privileges of the people, as well as crippling the countries opportunity and economic welfare).

There is no process of redress against this, for a government with a parliamentary majority.

How do you feel about all that?

It was striking in this week's PMQs just how brazen Johnson was about lying. Obviously, it's just what he does, but to do it so proudly in a weekly showpiece where he knows that what he says will be subject to scrutiny and fact checking suggests that he thinks / knows that it really doesn't matter: he knows he's going to get away with it.

Reply #784
It was striking in this week's PMQs just how brazen Johnson was about lying. Obviously, it's just what he does, but to do it so proudly in a weekly showpiece where he knows that what he says will be subject to scrutiny and fact checking suggests that he thinks / knows that it really doesn't matter: he knows he's going to get away with it.

He has an 80 seat majority, the next GE is years away and that people have short memories.

Reply #785
What do our impartial broadcast media say about these daily whoppers?
I wouldn't recommend being a student to anyone.....
.......except to students

Reply #786
Well, if it's fiction, the author is at least committed to his tale:

https://twitter.com/archer_rs

Reply #787
Well, if it's fiction, the author is at least committed to his tale:

https://twitter.com/archer_rs

Quick message from idiot son's boss.

"Do keep an eye on him for me.  He has a habit of getting into trouble.  Last year he fell off a bridge in Hemel Hempstead"

Quotes like that make me think it’s more likely a fiction. It’s kind of too funny all at once, more like a portmanteau of Brexit stupidity. Although, as stated previously, these types are certainly out there.

Reply #788
Quite. It's become lazy and complacent. Johnson smirks, intentionally laughing in peoples faces. Handjob, the cock, immediately loses his rag if there is any attempt to question him on reality, while Gove posits his reflections on a fantasy world that cannot work under the existing laws of nature. Patel has no idea what she is in, except knowing that she's on the side of the moolah, with no care about what she pretends to say, because she doesn't understand reality anyway.

They absolutely know that they are untouchable, and irrespective of how their fiction departs from the actuality, they know their propaganda arm will be writing the history.

I don't think anyone should be taking for granted what will be left when they are done...whatever you think their actual motivation is.

Reply #789

"Do keep an eye on him for me.  He has a habit of getting into trouble.  Last year he fell off a bridge in Hemel Hempstead"

Quotes like that make me think it’s more likely a fiction. It’s kind of too funny all at once, more like a portmanteau of Brexit stupidity. Although, as stated previously, these types are certainly out there.

Stacks up: https://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/news/hertfordshire-news/a14-traffic-man-rushed-hospital-3232923

Reply #790

Apparently an author too.  So not immune to flights of fancy and this might shift a few copies...

Reply #792
Maybe you should do a poll ?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love some actual meaningful, and considered responses (although @dunc‍ 's will also do)....but mostly it was functionally rhetorical, despite my preferences.  I think it's quite clear, from the substantive failure to even acknowledge let alone engage, that most people are d).

...and will be, until they realise that they are also a target.

Just a matter of time.

Reply #793
No. I never said anything was unbelievable. Just that the accounts should be treated with skepticism. They shouldn't be assumed to be true, and whether or not they are true, they shouldn't be assumed to be representative of millions of people.

You know your own situation so I can't dispute those facts... but I can note that you're a person on the internet making a point and citing an example of people I don't know, and do with that information as I please. I do know from following the Brexit debate that at all times, all parties were pretty clear on their intention to ensure reciprocal rights for residents. It was not unreasonable for anyone (however they voted) to assume that people would not have to leave their country of residence. It was, obviously, unreasonable of people to think that Brits abroad could stay abroad, but people in the UK would have to leave. I am absolutely aware that once the vote was in, the UK made a complete hash of everything and has needlessly, even maliciously, caused an unreasonable amount of distress to people to whom it owed a duty of care.. and the people responsible for that (i.e. the tory party) ought never be forgiven.

Why are you treating Smeds account with skepticism. Who do you believe? The Tories (after Johnson took over and before the election) made it pretty clear that they were perfectly happy to countenance leaving without a deal but still a fair number of people blindly voted to leave against their own better interests (without really having any understanding of what a no deal would mean). How else would you define that apart from stupid. For what it is worth I agree that we should not fall into the track of equating brexiteer = stupid = racist but it really is very difficult not to when you see the amount of ill informed bilge that a lot of Brexiteers come out with. (see Rich B for an example of most of the common tropes). I think you possibly might not realise how much things have changed in 3 years. Politics here have moved, with the right much more vocal and organised and things becoming more polarised.

Reply #794
They need us, more than we need them, although this is actually a sign that the EU are reconciled to no deal.  The one thing that all UK players assured us was never on the cards.  Despite that being exactly what they have aimed for, with no deviation. 

I wonder why?