Skip to main content
Topic: MEAN KEANE AND THE O'NEIL MACHINE! (Read 1911 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: MEAN KEANE AND THE O'NEIL MACHINE!

Reply #90
I thought he did okay. Enthusiastic, couple of good strong tackles, albeit on another day he'll get them slightly wrong and get sent off. Energetic and keen, alert to what's going on around him, head up, but I think I would have had him on another league one loan this season with a view to stepping up next.

Reply #91
It does feel like he's wasted 6 months of development  this season

Reply #92
A penalty is a dead ball. You can choose the taker, and have control of the situation totally until the ball is struck.

To get a reasonable return, in terms of our fair share, someone else needs to take them until Grabban has improved his power and placement even if the keeper does read him.

It's not a criticism of his general play, or his value to the team. Currently he's just not good enough at penalties to be taking them.
It may help if he didn’t keep putting the ball in the same flipping place
Anyone requiring chinning form an orderly queue

Reply #95
So, should start ahead of Watson by that measure??

I don't think either should be anywhere near the team.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #96
@Chicago , you're on match thread duty for Tuesday's game.

Reply #97
We were pretty poor in the first half and still should have scored 2.  Bonatini looked way off the pace.  Concalves coming on was interesting.  I thought Milosevic was excellent actually.  Grabban was a nuisance but Brentford did play the better football and I am not overly sure Ollie Watkins was offside when he scored.  I am glad they called it.  I think that young chap is going to be a superstar.  He is a very intelligent and able footballer. 

Yates was ropey in the first half but definitely grew into his role in the second.  It's interesting that he was yelling at players to get into position and was encouraging his team mates around him.  He has a bit of Roy Keane about him in attitude and he also knows when to foul with a deliberate yellow.  Ben Watson on the other hand was nasty niggly, diving into challenges and generally dreadful when in possession of the ball. 

We could have put the game out of sight but decided to make it interesting by missing our chances.  I like Brentford as a team and I think if they can keep their squad together they may do a Norwich next season. 

I think MON made decent adjustments in the second half and we were much better until the end when Watson was just flailing at the ball and hoofing it.  He's bloody useless now other than to get in fights and rile people up. 

When all hope is lost and Russ is screaming about how he hates MON and Keane when his win percentage is 2 wins out of 3 with a team he doesn't know then I will step up and do the right thing and employ my match thread prowess. 

MON is admitting that he is getting a look at the players.  Hence Yates, Concalves, Anisfard, (who by the way if he gets a run could very well be excellent.  He was good in the world cup). 

Wague and Milosevic are no nonsense centre backs.  Sure, it's not going to be progressive but at least they won't make horrid mistakes.  I thought Robinson was dreadful by the way.  And Janko who looked electric when he joined us has turned to mush.  He flaps like a 14 year old girl.  

It's not pretty but we improved in the second half and again those slagging off Yates (he has just turned 21 and played 6 minutes for us for fcuks sake), might be pleasantly surprised if he gets time to develop.  Apparently Keane has taken an interest in developing him.  I hope they do the same with Appiah too. 

Murphy was a stop gap as Grabban is still nursing that Achilles (although he looked very good yesterday, and I hope to see our little Calvalho soon.  I really hope that this new management team get time to work on stuff.  It will not be pretty but I think it will end up being decent.  By the way Russ the Leeds fan comparing him to Megson is disgraceful and JP should continue to rile him because his Hannah Dexter behaviour is a bit silly at the moment.  I thought a few seasons ago our resident Canadian made it clear he had no connection to the club anymore and he wasn't that bothered about watching so it didn't matter.  For someone who not connected anymore he sure does moan (troll) a lot at the moment. 

Oh and news flash.  Karanka walked.  He wasn't fired.  He had a mardy because the club said he couldn't have oodles of money to kick on because he should have been doing better.  Was he going to get fired?  Dunno, but he apparently was a moody cnut who was quite tiresome when he didn't get his way.  Good, f*ck off then.  MON at least seems like a genuine bloke.  The football won't be ace for a while but we are a second tier club at the moment so it's going to take a while.

I know the remit is the play offs this season but I wonder if that has been tempered in the last couple of weeks.  I think MON and Keane are looking at the players and seeing what springs eternal.  It would be hat-stand if the Greek's expected him to win every game and gatecrash the playoffs.  I suspect yoof might get more a look in under this management team.

Anyway, I like MON.  Keane played for Man Utd and Clough.  He knows football and I am sure would prefer we play the proper way.  It's going to take time.  I really hope that these legends (and they are Legends) at least get a shot at this before we end up with another disposable leader after this current period.  At least we are in capable hands at the moment.  Brilliant?  Progressive, exciting?  Not at the moment but capable.  Maybe that's we need for the time being.  Time to end the hat stand...

Anyway here's to mid-table glory!!!!  BUT AT LEAST WE BEAT THE MIGHTY BRENTFORD AT HOME YOU MORBID CNUTS!!!!

Chicago: winner. 
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #98
I thought the game was broadly poor, and seemed a bit frantic and panicky at times but the area we did excel was closing down high up the pitch, and it's this level of hard work that saw us win the game.

A neutral would probably have said that a draw would have been fair, so I will take the win all day long

Early days, but it looks like I thought it would - organised and hard working, little focus on flair...it's just a question of seeing if this approach will be 'of the time' enough to achieve stuff
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #99
The press was effectively for the first fifteen or twenty minutes of each half. The squad can't do more than that, it seems.  That was, essentially, what Warbs was trying to develop in the squad.  That possession based (and pressing based) movement, is exactly what we should have been trying to do for the previous entirely wasted year, instead of spunking money from a position that we hadn't got enough money to make up the discrepancy in our shortcomings.

I thoroughly expect us to keep repeating the mistake.  Ever decreasing circles style. While being overtaken by clubs living in the modern football world.

Reply #100
I thought the game was broadly poor, and seemed a bit frantic and panicky at times but the area we did excel was closing down high up the pitch, and it's this level of hard work that saw us win the game.

A neutral would probably have said that a draw would have been fair, so I will take the win all day long

Early days, but it looks like I thought it would - organised and hard working, little focus on flair...it's just a question of seeing if this approach will be 'of the time' enough to achieve stuff

I thought we had by far the best of chances - despite hitting the post, I don't remember them having anything as clear cut as the Lolley miss from the long throw, the Bonatini miss; the Golcalves trickle cleared off the line and the Grabban touch past the post, even ignoring the penalty. Pantamilion made a reasonable save from a free kick in the first half but there wasn't else.

Reply #101
I thought we had by far the best of chances - despite hitting the post, I don't remember them having anything as clear cut as the Lolley miss from the long throw, the Bonatini miss; the Golcalves trickle cleared off the line and the Grabban touch past the post, even ignoring the penalty. Pantamilion made a reasonable save from a free kick in the first half but there wasn't else.

They hit the post with a deflected effort which had Pants beaten, he made a complete meal of a shot at the end which could have gone anywhere and made a decent near post save with his foot. 

I agree we still had the much better chances though.

Reply #102
They hit the post with a deflected effort which had Pants beaten, he made a complete meal of a shot at the end which could have gone anywhere and made a decent near post save with his foot. 

I agree we still had the much better chances though.

I didn't think either of those were particularly clear cut as chances though. Maupay should probably have done better in the first half when put through by Watson before he was closed down by Osborn.

Reply #103
Despite everything the league position is respectable.

West Brom tomorrow.

Reply #104
The person who makes up Kenny Burns' views in the NP thinks that "the fans will never, ever have a go at young players who have come up through the academy; they cost us nothing and they have an affinity for the club. Supporters will quickly get behind them."

I wonder what Ben Osborn thinks.