Skip to main content
Topic: Post-Kranky new manager thread  (Read 3377 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post-Kranky new manager thread

Reply #90
Depends how you define success, I suppose. I think there's a reasonable argument that he managed Sunderland and the ROI to exactly the level that their talent and resources merit.

Managing successfully would be managing them above their talent and resources, wouldn't it?

Reply #91
He knows the game, knows how to manage teams to achieve at least the sum of their parts, generally comes complete with a backroom team that provides the expertise that historically we lack.

It's clearly never going to be a proper club based structure, or modern progressive passing football, with an old school manager like MoN..... But then it's clear we are not going to be those things anyway. So might as well have one we have a bit of affection for.

Might make him harder to sack unnecessarily. Might not.

Reply #93
I agree on the need to explicitly have promoted other teams (although familiarity with your opponents is an advantage), but O'Neill hasn't managed successfully anywhere in this decade. That's the concern.

To be fair his record at Sunderland was very similar to Karanka's with Forest, so it's all relative.

Reply #94
I can't imagine MoN will want anything other than full old-skool style control over transfers. Has this Anigo fella actually arrived yet?

Reply #95
I can't imagine MoN will want anything other than full old-skool style control over transfers.

Why's that? Just because it was how it was in the past doesn't mean that MoN now understands that things are done differently?

Reply #96
Cummings is comings back apparently. Wonder what O'Neill will make of him. Probably not much.

It would be funny if Martin decided not to come after all.....

Reply #97
Cummings is comings back apparently. Wonder what O'Neill will make of him. Probably not much.

It would be funny if Martin decided not to come after all.....

I presume that all this is also the dastardly work of Clive?
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #98
Wasnt it rumoured back in the Doughty days that MO'N had verbally accepted the job and then dropped out last minute.

I cant for the life of me then remember who we got instead? Was that when we appointed Calderwood (that cant be right??)

Anyway, I would have much rather they announced Pearce was being given another shot if we are going down the ex player route. A lot will depend upon who MO'N brings in as his no2.

Reply #99
Wasnt it rumoured back in the Doughty days that MO'N had verbally accepted the job and then dropped out last minute.

I cant for the life of me then remember who we got instead? Was that when we appointed Calderwood (that cant be right??)

Remember it being assumed when he was managing Leicester and we played them at the end of a season. Which means it must have been 1999, at the very start of the ND years. So we got Platt instead.

Reply #100
If Martin O'Neil comes without team o'neil, or control of those aspects of the backroom, it's a pretty much guaranteed disaster off the bat. It would just be forest to a tee if we finally implemented a club structure at the time it was most at odds with the working practice of the manager we appointed.

I consider suggestions that we have a competent level of football expertise established at the club premature.

Reply #101
My old uni pal who covers national sport for the BBC in Ireland had this to say...

O’Neill felt he didn’t get the credit he deserved for his work with Ireland because his hands were tied with a limited squad. Suffered by the lack of a goal scorer. By the end though, the better days of his reign had faded into the memory - final year was a real struggle, style of play became even more difficult to watch, players roles never seemed defined and O’Neill looked out of touch with the game. Morale seemed at an all time low and, of course, Keane lambasting the players never made for a happy camp. His appointment will make for interesting times especially if he brings Keane with him.

Reply #103
Well, I for one welcome our new European Cup-winning overlord.
Not sure I'm keen on Steve Guppy though.

Reply #104
Steve Guppy was Robbo coached, and is effectively the Robbo replacement (wing coach if not the Taylor to O'Neil's Clough in entirety).

I suspect it's one of the big reasons that team O'Neil is not as potent as before Robbo retired.