Skip to main content
Topic: Qatar (Read 252 times) previous topic - next topic

Qatar

Anyone know anything about football in Qatar (beyond what I can find out on the interwebs)?

Particularly if you’ve been to a league or cup match out there?

Re: Qatar

Reply #1
Is football even a thing in Qatar? I assumed it was just entirely made up for international prestige.

Its just England's luck that the development process we've been through may come to fruition at a tournament in a drink free authoritarian desert in totally sterile stadiums.

Reply #2
Is football even a thing in Qatar? I assumed it was just entirely made up for international prestige.

Its just England's luck that the development process we've been through may come to fruition at a tournament in a drink free authoritarian desert in totally sterile stadiums.

Not sure where you are planning to spend next Sunday, but it doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Reply #3
To watch France vs Croatia? Home, before playing in the evening.

Reply #4
Not sure where you are planning to spend next Sunday, but it doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

The amount of presumption that I've seen in the last 24 hours makes me think that a significant proportion of our fanbase haven't actually watched Rakitic and Modric playing.
Outside it's 1933, so I'm hitting the bar

Reply #5

I will be watching the game tomorrow with two Croatians.  They will be bringing Croatian wine.  Sounds awful.  It will probably end in a punch up.

Chicago: Stuck in Chicago.
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #6
Given its location and climate I would imagine they should be able to produce some pretty good wine. That doesn't of course mean that you'll get the good stuff tomorrow.
Outside it's 1933, so I'm hitting the bar

Reply #7
I have worked there several times from the middle 90s and never saw, heard of football stadiums.

Anyone requiring chinning form an orderly queue

Reply #8
The amount of presumption that I've seen in the last 24 hours makes me think that a significant proportion of our fanbase haven't actually watched Rakitic and Modric playing.

Cardboard was deployed.

Reply #10
Aren't they building half a dozen stadiums in a tiny area. All powered by Fawaz fridges?
believe there are at least two in Doha and at least one in an outlying town with f*ck all infrastructure.

I worked out at Ras Laffan a new industrial city in the desert.

Reply #13
there seems to be quite a few there now, and more being built:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_Qatar

Looks like I've got to go week after next for some site surveys so I guess I'll see then.
Don’t envy you, if you have a choice the Sheraton Doha by the Corniche is pretty good hotel. It’s the pyramid shaped one - worked there as well.