Skip to main content
Topic: The World Cup Thread (Read 12322 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The World Cup Thread

Reply #15
Does that mean all 3 qualify as hosts?

It will be the 48 team format by then, so presumably.
Outside it's 1933, so I'm hitting the bar

Reply #16
They should draw lots to see which one of the three countries be exempt from qualifying. Having three teams automatically qualifying from CONCACAF, plus a couple of legitimately qualifying countries, is ridiculous.
Imagine if GB were awarded the WC. Automatic qualification for England, Wales, Scotland & NI? I don't think so.

Reply #17
They should draw lots to see which one of the three countries be exempt from qualifying. Having three teams automatically qualifying from CONCACAF, plus a couple of legitimately qualifying countries, is ridiculous.
Imagine if GB were awarded the WC. Automatic qualification for England, Wales, Scotland & NI? I don't think so.

Except that, as I said, the World Cup will be a 48 team format by then and CONCACAF will have 6 places. The US and Mexico would be virtually assured of qualification anyway with 6 places up for grabs, so the only team really benefiting from a host's bye is Canada.

Reply #18
48 teams? that will be f*cking excruciating. It'll be like the group stages of the Champions League with seeded teams being pitted against much smaller nations and utterly dull to watch. England will still struggle to qualify from the groups of course.

Reply #19
We will have the opportunity to watch England break new ground, and get knocked out of the group stages by the likes of the Kyrgyz Republic. It will be exciting.

Reply #20
I've just realised why Gasman is upset about it; El Salvador are currently ranked 7th in CONCACAF, and Canada are 8th. (Mexico are 1st and US 3rd.) It's basically going to be Jamaica, Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador and Honduras fighting it out for the other three places.

Reply #21
Update: a bit of research tells me that FIFA will decide at a later date whether all three will automatically qualify. Although I imagine they will, on the basis that it's far more important to have the host nations in than it is teams like Honduras and El Salvador.

Reply #25
Robbie Williams is a curious choice for the opening ceremony.

Reply #26
I just pulled out Germany and Portugal in the office sweepstake.  Quite happy with that.

Reply #27
Robbie Williams is a curious choice for the opening ceremony.

He's pretty mahoosive in the majority of the countries taking part. He's also on the Universal label who are a sponsor.

Reply #28
And singing a song from 20 years ago.

Reply #29
What the f*ck is the set of the ITV coverage supposed to be? Inside the Kremlin? Or one of the rooms at Catherine's palace. Weird.