Skip to main content
Topic: Summer 2018 transfers and rumours (Read 18897 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Summer 2018 transfers and rumours

Reply #165
We're going to see a right old string of legends through the rotating front door, while the current transfer policy is in place. It seems.

Reply #166
Well the transfer policy already brought us players like Lolley and Figuredo so it's not just geriatrics.

I personally don't have the downer that some of you seem to have on Watson either. Gueddy hasn't been good though, but towards the end of the season he seemed to be getting nearer to the player we know, so maybe a full pre-season could see us with a very useful player.
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #167
Well the transfer policy already brought us players like Lolley and Figuredo so it's not just geriatrics.

No, that's fine.  There are some younger players in there. 

We've paid an enhanced level for them, as you do for players further into their careers. Where would you rate them in terms of the likes of Worrall and McKay/Cash? Would you like to see them play instead of them?  How do you think they contribute to the balance of the squad in ways that wasn't being achieved previously without the extra spending?

Reply #169
Liverpool too apparently.

Reply #170
And thanks to the EPPP, we will get something like the square root of f*ck all for him.

Reply #171
My youngest played in the school team with him. He’s quite good.

Reply #173
i wonder if his plan involves contingency around the old lags likely appearance record.

Reply #174

I hope he goes reasonably young in midfield and attack.  I doubt he will.  Grabbon did look good for Villa but he's 30.  Paying five million would be insane!  Villa need to go up this season otherwise they lose payments from prem I think.  Abel Hernandez is 27 and if he can stay healthy is good.  But again he was blighted by injury last season.  He is also wanted by Newcastle and Wolves so I would think a non starter.  This who's who of who is coming in is fun but I assume this is a sh!t or bust season before FFP looms again?  d*rby might have to offload VYdra.  He's good at Championship level no doubt but how old is he?  Might still be mid 20's but I suspect expensive.  Let's hope our scouts are fcuking ace.  Although I have no idea who our scouts are?  As with the two kids who haven't signed diddly yet because they are 16.  It might be an idea to bring up to the first team squad to train and get the sh!t kicked out of them in order for them to feel wanted and learn.  If they are still after the money, which they might be; (never to be seen again), then there is nothing we can do.  I really hope Yates and Appiah are given shots this summer as I think they may have something.   (Again from what I have seen, which of course is very limited as I can only rely on the internet and reports from people who say they have a bright future).

So in essence what I want to happen and what Kranky will probably do (pants, Tomlin, Colback old striker like Grabbon), run contrary to what I would deem a success if he doesn't buy or use young exciting talent and a fcuking good left back.  Pity Soton stayed up as we could have got a shot at a certain Ryan Bertrand(cough...)

He could surprise us all though and just loan from Moaninho and Chelski as he seems to have a good relationship with them both.  (Pity Tammy Abraham is likely to go to Newcastle also - those b@stards!).

Chicago: Throwing sh!t at the wall. 

Chicago:

If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #175
I'm not suggesting we are going to buy Lewis Grabban, but surely if £15m buys you a talented striker in his mid-20s such as Assombalonga, then £5m seems reasonable for what is essentially a '20 goals a season' striker at this level, who is 30yrs old.
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #176
I’d rather buy the £5m 25 goal Peterborough striker who is, I think, early 20s. There’s a bit more likelihood that he’ll still be worth £5m in 3 or 4 years’ time.

Reply #177
Grabban could be an excellent signing but would seem to make more sense further down the line, after we've put together strong enough foundations that adding an experienced 20 goals a season a striker makes the big difference. Fulham for example adding Mitrovic has probably nudged them over the line, although even then it's in the balance to some extent. Our problem is that we are so far off where Fulham were when they did that, we need to buy wholesale to get there in the timeframes we are giving the manager. If Grabban merely fires us into the top half of the table then that's a massive investment which we have no way of recovering. Someone needs to be looking at recruitment over the next two years of Karanka's contract and working out whether it can realistically deliver the promotion it essentially has to if we go down this spending route. I'm not sure we have that capability at the club.

Reply #178
Say we are going up, say we are going up!

Reply #179
It will come as no surprise that I'm in the Steve camp, not the Jim one.

We have often, in the past, been a graveyard for strikers. There appears to be a misconception, with talk of a '20 goal a season man' which fans often take very literally. The reality is that a finisher, if they're not SVC, is metaphorically the cherry on top. Not the cake. You have to look at how your team plays, look at how the strikers that interest you score their goals, and look at how that might work. So you either need the team first (we haven't got one), or to build the team around how the striker plays (takes more time), or put it all together on the hoof, under time and budgetary constraints, and hope it an comes together before the next published accounts puts a stop to the 'building' (good luck with that one).

Unfortunately many managers are as simplistic as fans (well relatively). They like to work with 'proven' players because they can't really make them. Their teams are about building 'partnerships' - deconstructing the game, playing in straight lines, being organised and solid. Basically trying to simplify and structure a game to control the ball out of play and reduce thinking and decision making. On the other side of the coin you have managers that blow apart structure, coach players to think for themselves and to play with press and mess. Rather than control the ball out of play, they keep it live and moving, kicking it away is a crime, and it's released willingly from control only under high likelihood of a goal.

In the first scheme a Murphy-a-like would be fine. In the second you probably needs something that looks more like an Osborn. But the point is... There is no 'guaranteed 20 goal a season striker'. It depends on your team, and every player reaches a point when they don't score any more and then retire. It feels like we've retired more than our fair share.