Skip to main content
Topic: Summer 2018 transfers and rumours (Read 14986 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Summer 2018 transfers and rumours

Reply #15
I’m pretty sure Lam and Henderson are out of contract this summer.

Tomlin cost Cardiff £3m last summer so I’d imagine they’d want close to that. Not worth it for me.

Figgy has a purchase agreement in the loan deal so hopefully that will be straight forward and likewise Cummings to Rangers.

Clough and Walker have barely had a kick for Bolton so we will be stuck with them amongst the other rubbish.

We’d need to spend £20m well to even be close to challenging.

I'm going off transfermarkt.co.uk, although I'm happy to accept that it could be wrong as it doesn't seem to be aware that Lichaj signed a contract extension at Christmas. However, according to them Lam is under contract until the end of next season.

You're right about Tomlin, I'd misread the date his loan ends as the date that his contract is up but if they're already sending him out on loan you have to think that they probably aren't too keen on keeping him, especially if they go up. I'm not excited about the idea of paying a lot for him though.

Agree with the rest of your post, although I think we can probably move Clough on fairly easily if we want to and aren't fussed about recouping the transfer fee, and Walker probably doesn't cost much.
I don't like workaholics. Don't f*cking trust them. Why are they working? I don't trust busy c*nts. That's how wars start: busy f*ckers.

Reply #16
The big problem with buying players who are not sh!t, is that we will be competing with other teams who are ahead oof us (existing not sh!t, bigger budgets). Also sh!t, or not sh!t, is slightly dependent on the way the manager sees things.

Ideally we would buy players who are not sh!t now, and wont be sh!t when we get the next manager in. Perhaps we could put in place some sort of strategy to work towards this?

No actual evidence that this is yet sorted.

Agreed. One would hope that that's why they brought in Luke Dowling from Watford.

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/11541109.Dowling_on_his_rise_from_non_league_to_Watford/

Sounds like the kind of thing we're interested in, does it not?
I don't like workaholics. Don't f*cking trust them. Why are they working? I don't trust busy c*nts. That's how wars start: busy f*ckers.

Reply #17
.....Sounds like the kind of thing we're interested in, does it not?
It does.  After our failed sh!t or bust season, next season, we'll need someone to trim the wage bill.

Reply #18
It does.  After our failed sh!t or bust season, next season, we'll need someone to trim the wage bill.

Possibly. Brace yourself, though. They've had 8 managers in the last four seasons, not that it appears to have done them too much harm.

Reply #19
How quickly Jorge Grant  (who signed a three-year deal last summer) is forgotten.
I'd be interested in what we do with Ryan Yates as well - I'd like to see him get a pre-season with the first team at least
Also with first-team experience...
I expect Iacovitti and McDonagh will be allowed to leave, although Ahmedhodzic may get another year (I think Evtimov will probably be off as well)

Reply #20
It will be really interesting to see how our strategy allows for development. I thing we need some to bridge the gap between where we are and our competitors, based on spending power. I'm not seeing where it comes from though.

Reply #21
How quickly Jorge Grant  (who signed a three-year deal last summer) is forgotten.
I'd be interested in what we do with Ryan Yates as well - I'd like to see him get a pre-season with the first team at least
Also with first-team experience...
I expect Iacovitti and McDonagh will be allowed to leave, although Ahmedhodzic may get another year (I think Evtimov will probably be off as well)

I don't think we will keep Jorge Grant. I don't think he is championship quality.

I think Ryan Yates may well be something special though. I think he will be given a chance in pre-season.
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #23
Obviously it's all opinions but I would be disappointed to see Clough, McKay and, Walker chucked in the bin. They are players a good coach should be able to work with to at least be valuable parts of the squad.

Figueiredo will no doubt be the first signing and he has been impressive so good move. I wouldn't bother with the other loans, but if we do I'd take Dowell ahead of Tomlin. I think Watson has quality but he is painfully slow to watch at times and Geddy whilst occasionally lively in bursts seems to rely on chipping balls aimlessly into space and hoping someone can chase it down, we'll need much quickr players for that to work out.

Karanka talked yesterday like he will be central to recruitment, but hopefully Dowling will be implementing a recruitment strategy to replace the years of Forest boards going to the manager when the window opens and asking if he's had any thoughts about who to sign.

I'm guessing we'll have massive turnover again. One day it would be nice to only be looking for 2 or 3 signings in a summer window and only buying when we get exactly what we want, but that'll need a plan.

Reply #24
Obviously it's all opinions but I would be disappointed to see Clough, McKay and, Walker chucked in the bin. They are players a good coach should be able to work with to at least be valuable parts of the squad.

Figueiredo will no doubt be the first signing and he has been impressive so good move. I wouldn't bother with the other loans, but if we do I'd take Dowell ahead of Tomlin. I think Watson has quality but he is painfully slow to watch at times and Geddy whilst occasionally lively in bursts seems to rely on chipping balls aimlessly into space and hoping someone can chase it down, we'll need much quickr players for that to work out.

Karanka talked yesterday like he will be central to recruitment, but hopefully Dowling will be implementing a recruitment strategy to replace the years of Forest boards going to the manager when the window opens and asking if he's had any thoughts about who to sign.

I'm guessing we'll have massive turnover again. One day it would be nice to only be looking for 2 or 3 signings in a summer window and only buying when we get exactly what we want, but that'll need a plan.

Another season wasted, and then probably next season will be 'transition', if we are lucky. If Karanka stays that long.

What gets me is the owners. Aren't they tearing their hair out at all this wasted money and time? Didn't they see what the last lot were like and think "we're not going to fall into that trap like they did"?

Reply #25
What gets me is the owners. Aren't they tearing their hair out at all this wasted money and time? Didn't they see what the last lot were like and think "we're not going to fall into that trap like they did"?
What's doubly confusing is the statement made in the open letter from the chairman. Take away Russ's hobby horse about the individuals, which is not a concern to me (I'm not wedded to any specific individual now TGLE has gone), and look at the strategy component. It implies development, that requires patience and time.

We have to assume that's in the bin, but no further comment has been passed on it. The club's moves since then (pitch facing) have looked the opposite to the previous implied strategy. One can have a view about appropriate strategy for a club in our position, but I doubt many people think the flip-flops every transfer window is a good idea.

It pretty much guarantees that we get a poor value return from our investment level. We are like a problem gambler, constantly looking at what we might win... But not having sufficient regard for our continuing losses.

I would prefer value backed investment. Not gambling.

Reply #26
f*cks sake, are we STILL droning on about that f*cking 'open letter'?
The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #27
No we are droning on about the club saying a certain approach being the right one, then jetisonning it, moving in a completely different direction that has turned out to be expensive sh!t that is worse for results and entertainment.

Because that's the sort of mindless arse we do on discussion forums.

Reply #28
If the NEP are to be believed, Kranky is talking about trying to sign Colbeck and Tomlin permanently. If we do we will struggle again next season or they will warm the bench for decent wages. They are not good enough. Not enough desire, not enough skill and don't work hard enough for the rest of the team. Journey men of little value, just as Geddy is who we are stuck with.

Reply #29

Yep, and I expect we will keep droning on about it until the club shares with the fans its update on our strategy.

I kind of thought the Chairman might have done that in his last open letter but that was more about the owner not being a heroin smuggler.