Skip to main content
Topic: Mundane NFFC news (Read 2827 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Mundane NFFC news

Reply #30
A couple of years of Aussie stadiums has me seeing the CG for the oppressive death trap and all-round-sh!tty-place-to-be that it is between the turnstiles and the 'arena'. Fair enough, like, the stands are of their time. I miss its personality, history, general wonkiness etc.. but not the spaces and facilities that scream 'you are scum and we don't want you here' at all who enter.

They're always banging on about wanting more families etc to go to football.. and acting like getting everyone to stop swearing will help. How about looking at stadium design and facilities in the places where families do go to sport? I'm pretty sure Russ has mentioned how North America is the same (i.e. really really good).

I'm not sure there's much of a business case for doing much with the CG other than chopping the capacity to fit the facilities. Aussie stadiums are great, but they're generally government owned and have multiple tenants (The MCG, as well as hosting tests, is home to a Big Bash team and the Victorian state team during the summer.. and four Aussie Rules teams during the winter. Melbourne Rectangular Stadium is home to 1.5 A-league teams and two rugby teams etc etc). It's a different world. Some of the old thinking in the UK is unnecessary (reluctance to share facilities) but part of the problem is that every two-bit town has a league club or two.. and that's a good thing. Australia just needs two or three grounds in 5 cities and that's most of the teams and population sorted. And, within reason, people are generally OK with public money being spent on professional sporting facilities[1].
There's a bit of a virtuous circle at play here too.. good facilities mean that more people attend events which means that more people benefit from the facilities which means that less people object to the government funding them and so on.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #31
but they're generally government owned and have multiple tenants

I'm a fan of this but in this, it makes a lot more sense to have one decent facility used regularly rather then loads of sh!t ones used just 20 times a year, which when you think about properly is madness. Such is the money in the game now though I think the boat has been missed on this.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #32
I'm a fan of this but in this, it makes a lot more sense to have one decent facility used regularly rather then loads of sh!t ones used just 20 times a year, which when you think about properly is madness. Such is the money in the game now though I think the boat has been missed on this.

Easier in Australia where there are only six states and only a few more serious size cites. I'm not sure the Nottingham-d*rby-Leicester mega stadium, located at junction 24 of the M1, would ever have been very popular - one other advantage of Australian stadiums, in my experience anyway, is that they are pretty much in the middle of cities.  I'm sure there's a case for Leicester Fosse and Tigers to share (although Rugby f*cks up football pitches) and there was obviously a time when we could have ended up sharing with Notts (although I don't think anyone solved the problem of them having thousands of empty seats).

Reply #33
Austalia also doesn't have the partisanship of supporters like here - which has been going on for generations. Whilst it might make total financial sense for clubs to share grounds the fact that it just hasn't happened with all these new grounds being built, I think means it just won't happen.

Reply #34
I was always in favour of a ground share, but more in favour of notts going out of business.

Reply #35
Austalia also doesn't have the partisanship of supporters like here - which has been going on for generations. Whilst it might make total financial sense for clubs to share grounds the fact that it just hasn't happened with all these new grounds being built, I think means it just won't happen.

The AFL (and precursors) is, I think, older than the football league and most of the clubs date back to the 19th century. There is plenty of history and rivalries are significant. Carlton and Collingwood are the Liverpool and ManUre of the sport, and they left their traditional homes to set up camp in the MCG around 2005.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #36
We should play at Trent Bridge.

Reply #38
Then bring it on. And we'll have beer in the stands too. (Obvs, they'd need to put the pitch nearest to the bit where I will sit.)

Reply #39
(although Rugby f*cks up football pitches)
I thought it was the other way around - football has specific wear (goal areas, touchlines, centre circles) which you don't see in rugger, although modern pitch care has somewhat negated this.

Reply #40
I thought it was the other way around - football has specific wear (goal areas, touchlines, centre circles) which you don't see in rugger, although modern pitch care has somewhat negated this.

I was thinking in terms of the longer grass and all those muddy scrums, rucks and/or mauls. Also, someone needs to come up with a way to do semi-permanent line markings.

Reply #41
I think the issue is the damage to the turf from set pieces (scrums particularly). Rugger is not what it was. Athleticism is up, standards of behaviour are down. 

There is a rugby bunch that train on our tuesday night pitch before us. The pitch is fine (it's 4G), if we can get them off it. They come off the pitch and stand around the pitch perimeter and behind the goals in a huddle (like they've not rolled around hugging each other enough). Last night I popped over to see about thirty of them and asked (well, instructed really) them to clear the pitch because they were in the way (five minutes after the pitch was ours). One of their big brave leaders verbally abused me, and lent me some opinions. Unfortunately these were of little value. After listening to why he thought they could do whatever they wanted, because in their view we were not ready to play. I told them that the pitch was ours, and it was not their call.

They slunk off.  All piss and vinegar.

I wouldn't let them play in my shark infested pool, at least not until I'd stocked it with with hungry crocodiles.

Am intending to go  and have a word with them next week as well, until learning how to share and play nice permeates their thick skulls.

Reply #42
Awaiting that with interest. What could possibly go wrong?

Reply #44
Fox signs a new deal.

Not sure if I'm happy with that or not.

Edit: just a one year extension. That's not too bad.