Skip to main content
Topic: Telly Thread (Read 13181 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Telly Thread

Reply #286
I may be the only person left who hasn't seen the Bodyguard, but Killing Eve is decent.

I'm also on series 2 of The Expanse, which after a slow start (in S1) has turned into a decent Sci_fi romp.

The Expanse is amazing!

Chicago; Expansive. 
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #287
Last episode of Series 4 of Better Call Saul - totally brilliant.

Reply #291
Watched the first episode of the new Doctor Who, with (nearly 12 yr old) daughter. I don't watch it normally. She's never seen it before.

It was fine. She played the role just like David Tennant . Nothing particularly special as far as I could see, but then it's a kids' programme so fair enough. Daughter thought it was good and will watch again.

It seems to be exactly where it should be - a programme for 11/12 year olds. Why anyone older should get excited about it is beyond me. I'm happy to watch this series just to up the ratings, so those whiny pricks are even more upset. After that, it's hard to care much either way.

Reply #292

I haven't much gotten into Doctor Who since the Halcyon days of Tom Baker and his Jelly Babies.  I tried watching later incarnations of the show but could never really get into it.  Much preferred Blake 7 and the early days of Red Dwarf. 

In other news I really like the Australian Dramedy Mr.Inbetween about a hitman who has a young daughter and is trying to date whilst also getting pissed off with rude behaviour.  It's very funny and dark.  Me Likey!  It's on FX in the States.  NO idea where it pops up on the shores of the U.K..

Chicago: Inbetween man. 
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #293
At the start Chuck and Jimmy sang Winner Takes it all. Chuck is played by Michael McKean, who also played David St Hubbins in Spinal Tap.

Explanations make things funnier.

Oh my god. I’ve spent 4 seasons watching and totally did not recognise him. Patron saint of quality footwear.

Reply #294
Watched the first episode of the new Doctor Who, with (nearly 12 yr old) daughter. I don't watch it normally. She's never seen it before.

It was fine. She played the role just like David Tennant . Nothing particularly special as far as I could see, but then it's a kids' programme so fair enough. Daughter thought it was good and will watch again.

It seems to be exactly where it should be - a programme for 11/12 year olds. Why anyone older should get excited about it is beyond me. I'm happy to watch this series just to up the ratings, so those whiny pricks are even more upset. After that, it's hard to care much either way.

I agree, mostly.

I think Doctor Who works at its best when it tells simple and imaginative adventure stories that everyone can enjoy. But like lots of other children’s entertainment - Pixar movies, super-hero movies, Star Wars, The Simpsons etc -  there’s often room for jokes, situations and characters that can have a deeper resonance with adults too.

Recent series of Doctor Who have sometimes veered too much towards complex, self-referential stories. The beauty of the format is that there is an obvious reset point every few years which allows the creators to self-correct.

Reply #295
There's a new series on BBC1 tonight called Informer.

I'm hoping the theme music will be the track of that name by 'Snow', but I expect to be disappointed.

Reply #296
Or betting has been at work. Portugal v Bosnia, eh?

Reply #298
North?