Skip to main content
Topic: Telly Thread (Read 11633 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Telly Thread

Reply #165
BBC2 is the first UK showing.

Reply #166
Unsolved on Netflix is looking good so far.

Reply #169
Eventually got round to Atlanta.  It was ok, fun enough.  And then episode 7.  The tolerance interview one.  Brilliant.  Utterly brilliant.

Reply #172
It’s not quite TV, but an Aussie standup called Hannah Gadsby’s ‘Nanette’ is on Netflix and it’s a pretty remarkable thing. If the style/jokes early on don’t grab you, stick with it. It’s about what happens after that.

Disclaimer: some members of this board will hate it very hard indeed. Mainly they are people who a) wont watch it and b) really should.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #173
In Australian stand-up news (well, hardly news).  I've dredged through all the old Sam Simmons material available on youtube. If comedians as emotional subversives, with a touch of the surreal, tickle you then you should enjoy him. I commend his work to the house.

Surprisingly Australian comedians are things that do not sh!t me.

Reply #174
On BBC4 - Whites vs Blacks. A programme about football.

I didn't see this the first time round. It's terrific. I'm reminded what a good broadcaster Adrian Chiles can be.

Reply #175
2nd season of sneaky Pete watched. Entertaining, but seemed to be a bit formulaic and basically re-treading the first season.

I've watched half of the 2nd season of Goliath and that is much much better. Billy Bob Thornton is always great of course, but there just seems to be more ideas in this one and feels more like a new story.

Looking forward to watching Preacher S3 but will wait til there is a bunch more episodes so I can binge watch...really don't like the weekly drip-feed thing.

Also, almost finished watching 'The Staircase' which someone on here recommended. I felt it was a bit plodding pace-wise in the middle section but now thoroughly enjoying it and I've resisted googling about the case as a spoiler so should polish off later today.

The inside of a Halex Three-Star table-tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to

Reply #176

Well with the world cup being over I guess it's time to catch up on some real television.  Sure, my mother in law and sister in law are in town so we had to watch some girly stuff like....The Handmaid's tale.  Holy sh!t talk about Dark!!!!   It's really really heavy and somehow applies to modern day America.  Gripping and awful.  It makes me want to kill men and burn churches....

It's heavy stuff so can only watch it every now and again.

12 Monkeys evolved from trying to stop what the film was about into something way more ambitious and even though it went all Battlestar Galactica re-boot it was brilliantly done.  In fact the ending was much more satisfying than Battlestar Galactica which I still liked.  By the way Dredd fans, Ronald D Moore who did Battlestar 2.0 and scarier Outlander (couldn't get through three episodes because I am not a girl) is doing the 2000ad adaptation of our favourite law man.

Syfy (channel here in the states), really screwed up the marketing of 12 Monkeys and the Expanse, (which is moving to Amazon Prime).  The latter is also really great science fiction television.  Great characters.  Brilliant drama and also a very interesting twist at the end of it.  Glad it has been revived because it could end up being a classic.

Which brings me to Westworld.  It had me then it didn't.  The last episode was so meta and ghost in the machine (in the machine (in the machine)), that it thought it was too clever for us.  Thus rendering it really fcuking tedious and like other shows there were no characters worthy of following ultimately.  I really ended up hating it because I thought that it was going to be something but just turned out to be a very expensive clever con.  Debate if you like but it's ending was w@nk.

Chicago: Going Supernova. 

If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #177

Which brings me to Westworld.  It had me then it didn't.  The last episode was so meta and ghost in the machine (in the machine (in the machine)), that it thought it was too clever for us.  Thus rendering it really fcuking tedious and like other shows there were no characters worthy of following ultimately.  I really ended up hating it because I thought that it was going to be something but just turned out to be a very expensive clever con.  Debate if you like but it's ending was w@nk.

Ponderous, pretentious, humourless, clever-clever, dull.

Reply #178
Enough of your weird sci-fi sh!t. I've enjoyed the Paul Whitehouse / Bob Mortimer series on the BBC. It'll only appeal to a niche audience made up of 55+ year old blokes who are falling apart a bit physically, find the presenters mildly amusing and like a bit of fishing - but it's perfect for me.

Reply #179
I've never fished and don't really want to ever either and I'm younger than the age range you provide, but I still like it. I've always been old though to be honest.