Skip to main content
Topic: It's the Creekit (Read 13058 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: It's the Creekit

Reply #331
Foakes has decided that now he's first pick on the teamsheet, he can express himself. 30 off 28 balls at one point, including 3 sixes.

Reply #332
I turned it on to see Foakes hole out. Rather than declare then Root has decided to declare now with Jennings 4 short of 150. Curious.

Reply #333
The declaration strategy for this team is still baffling.

There are two days and half a session to go. Is the weather forecast really that bad?

Foakes gets out, new batsman comes in, they three more runs, and then declare. 461 is obviously the magic number, not 458. Meanwhile Jennings only needed 4 runs to get his first test 150. Why not give him a couple more overs to get them?

Reply #334
Presumably they'd predetermined how many overs they wanted today and didn't change with the match situation.

Reply #335
Presumably they'd predetermined how many overs they wanted today and didn't change with the match situation.

And/or told the batsman that he has x overs to get his score and if he doesn't then tough sh!t. That's important in principle because there will be (and has been) situations where the team loses out so that an individual can hit a landmark.

IIRC JP was of the view that Cook shouldn't have played his final match and I was of the view that he should. So, arguably, we're now on the opposite sides of the same argument. I'll say the Cook game was a dead rubber (and Cook was still a credible pick and would have played had he not retired), and JP can say that a few more overs would not have put the match at risk unless England f*ck it up in other ways.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #336
There is, as you almost concede, quite a gap between a whole game when the opening pair for the upcoming tour are far from certain, and a few overs in a game where your lead is over 450 and there are two days remaining.

But yes, maybe Jennings was told in advance "you've got until x to get your 150".

Reply #337
SL 5 down now.

Reply #338
I bet everyone fancies a day off tomorrow.

Reply #339
It's almost CRIKIT. But not quite.

Reply #341
Bit of a mixed batting bag for England. As usual. Thank goodness for Sam Curran. As usual.