Skip to main content
Topic: Poppy facism (Read 1107 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Poppy facism

Reply #16
I don't know what your relatives died in the waah for, but I'm pretty sure mine would have been mad for an alfresco foam party. It's what they would have wanted.

Reply #17
That is usually a pretty good gag, but they shouldn't 'of' done it in the war memorial.

The Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain, on the other hand....

Reply #19
I bet she did too with a half a pint of Carling in her chops.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #20
I think it's possible to hold these two opinions:

1) people who call out 'virtue signalling' are more than likely to be bell ends.

2) 'virtue signalling' is a thing that a lot of people do whereby they *say* the right things to look good, but don't actually *do* a damn thing. Standing up for another section of society is great. But if you're mainly doing it to make yourself look good then, y'know, f*ck off. I'm not saying we should all donate our life savings to any causes we wish to promote on social media, but I think that the idea that simply saying you believe a thing, when that comes at no cost to you at all, is unhelpful if it's being done en masse. It means nobody can tell what people *really* care about. Y'know.. enough to stand up.. go on a march.. hand over some cash.. or change some behaviors. Hashtags raise awareness, but they don't build shelters, they don't buy medical supplies, they don't crush the patriarchy.

"Virtue signalling" is the new "political correctness"
And slacktivism, especially when backed by bullying people who don't use your effing hashtag (or RT your "please RT" bollix) is pathetic.
My "favourite" thing of these is when some virtue-signalling slacktivist social enterprise steps up and says we'll give 5% of profits to charity to show how generous you are. Using customers money for your own marketing and social credit can fcuk off, unless it's deep-rooted in the business.

Reply #21
I have a cousin who's always posting sh!t safety messages. Today's is "Don't buy your child a lollipop" with a story of how an 8 year old girl sucked it right off, got lodged in her throat and nearly died.

Anyone who suggests that perhaps lollipops aren't that bad gets shot down and made responsible for the deaths of all future lollipop suckers.

Infuriating!

Reply #22
I have a cousin who's always posting sh!t safety messages. Today's is "Don't buy your child a lollipop" with a story of how an 8 year old girl sucked it right off, got lodged in her throat and nearly died.

Anyone who suggests that perhaps lollipops aren't that bad gets shot down and made responsible for the deaths of all future lollipop suckers.

Infuriating!

You know that you should never stick pencils up your nose (even rubber end first) for a joke because there was this kid at my friend's school (you don't know my friend - he goes to a different school) who was there before my friend and he did that and then fell over and pushed the pencils up into his brain and then he died.

Reply #23
Sounds grim, I hope you got counselling. I used to enjoy replying to those sort of things before I needed Facebook for business. I got one clearly fake email once from a girl who I met briefly whilst travelling warning about gang rape in the west midlands. She had forwarded it to her (massive) inbox, I replied saying that at least 66% of those present would be having a great time. She went apesh!t.

Did anyone see last nights Watchdog? The woman selling faulty kittens was a good example of everything that's wrong with the world, the moment she realised she was at fault she blamed every else, tried to shut them down by talking over them and told them to go away as they were stressing her out. 

The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #24
Sounds grim, I hope you got counselling. I used to enjoy replying to those sort of things before I needed Facebook for business. I got one clearly fake email once from a girl who I met briefly whilst travelling warning about gang rape in the west midlands. She had forwarded it to her (massive) inbox, I replied saying that at least 66% of those present would be having a great time. She went apesh!t.

Did anyone see last nights Watchdog? The woman selling faulty kittens was a good example of everything that's wrong with the world, the moment she realised she was at fault she blamed every else, tried to shut them down by talking over them and told them to go away as they were stressing her out.

Watchdog investigating kittens?  Paging Alanis.

Reply #27
I thought, rather naively, that rememberence was the act of remembering stuff. It seems not. It seems that it now involves writing little messages on parcel labels, and tying them to the church railings. Unless there's been an outbreak of really forgetful people, with a strange idea of convenience in regard to post it notes, in Ruddington

Reply #28
I have seen actual pictures of people (in Kent, I think) who have 'decorated' their houses and front gardens with silhouettes of first world war soldiers, white wooden crosses and other war grave paraphenalia. Like a sort of Rememberance Day Christmas. These people have no grip on reality.

Reply #29
We have such a silhouette on our post office. It's sponsored. This made me simultaneously drop my jaw, and piss myself laughing, at the same time when I caught sight of the shear unadulterated commercial hypocrisy of it.

It's clearly being lined up as a new major holiday festival post battle of britain brexsh!t.