Skip to main content
Topic: What I have learned today (Read 86683 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What I have learned today

Reply #1485
Maybe there are a lot of charity aid workers in Bristol and they're refusing to pay the going rate?

Talking of which, this whole "men working overseas have sex with prostitutes" revelation seems like, well, not much of a revelation. I get that the charity element of the job clouds the issue, and I don't know all the facts about Haiti, but anyone who's ever spent time in a business/airport hotel abroad would not be shocked to find a few hookers in the bars. They're not hanging around for the bowls of nuts and the pianist.

Reply #1486
Not even the 12 inch pianist?

Reply #1487
Try the lamb etc...
Meet the New c*nts.

Same as the Old c*nts.

Reply #1488
A well liked fella around these parts, it turns out Gordon Taylor is very well paid c*nt

Reply #1489
A well liked fella around these parts, it turns out Gordon Taylor is very well paid c*nt
That's breathtaking. You've got to admire the stones on the man to pull that off (as it were).

Remember kids: Football - it's all about the money.

Reply #1490
Interesting to see how he survives the inevitable trial by media. Depends on how much fuss the fans kick up because realistically it's only really them who'll give a sh!t.

Elite-level players in the union aren't going to bat an eyelid at that sort of remuneration.

Reply #1491
Elite-level players in the union aren't going to bat an eyelid at that sort of remuneration.
Possibly. They aren't going to bat an eyelid because they can afford their own lackeys.  The average PFA member, whom the PFA is supposed to support, is on a lot less and likely to be annoyed that circa 15% of the organisations budget goes on one employee (breathtaking if true!). That's an impressive chunk of turnover for an organisation with a decent staff roster (good to see a couple of forest old boys - Steve Guinan, and Chris Fairclough, on the gravy train).

At one member, one vote, that's where his trouble lies - that and with public opinion when the press are dragging out Jeff Astle's* surviving family, and asking them for comment.

*I didn't know until just now that he was born in Eastwood, and died in Burton.

Reply #1492
And he was my window cleaner when I was a kid - a real nice bloke always willing to chat to an awe struck kid

Reply #1493
Talking of which, this whole "men working overseas have sex with prostitutes" revelation seems like, well, not much of a revelation.

Except they were there to do humanitarian work, paid for by people donating to the charity (and/or government funding). And prostitution is illegal in Haiti. And there were (allegedly) underage girls involved. And Oxfam tried to keep it quiet.

Given the blanket coverage applied to 'Rich White Men Harass Waitresses' recently, it's entirely correct that Oxfam are getting slammed for this, even though the slamming is much less vitriolic that it would be Barclays had tried to hush up a bunch of derivative traders getting caught with their trousers down in an illegal third-world brothel.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #1494
When we caught a worker with illegal images of child abuse on their computer we marched him to plod, and he quite rightly served time. 

What could Oxfam have possibly been thinking? That third world children actually being exploited by aid workers were not important enough to make a fuss about?

I'd rip them down and those I couldn't jail I'd make sure never worked in positions of power over the vulnerable again. A global sex offenders register is too good for them.

They're the absolute definition of should know better, and if they don't they should never get control of anybody elses money to wield power ever again.

Reply #1495
What could Oxfam have possibly been thinking? That third world children actually being exploited by aid workers were not important enough to make a fuss about?

If making a fuss threatens your terribly big and important multinational operation then, basically, yes. Oxfam does many good things, of course, but nobody should kid themselves that it won't behave like any other rich/powerful institution.. be it corporate, religious, governmental or whatever, when faced with someone that threatens it's own livelihood and/or the livelihoods of those who control that institution.

Oxfam, the institution, isn't responsible for what these people did. They *could* have made a fuss... they could have said "Our people did this and we're really f*cking sorry and we'll do everything we can to punish them, make redress, and make damn sure that everyone knows that this sh!t won't fly in future". But they chose the cowards path because they thought they could get away with it because they're good and worthy and blah blah blah. tw@ts.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #1496
That there are an exceptional amount of good looking women in Vancouver.

Chicago:  Eyes wide open.
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #1498
The word "nonce" when used to describe a sexual deviant comes from a prison abbreviation of Not On Normal Courtyard Exercise, meaning that the inmate was not allowed to mingle with general population for fear of reprisals.
I don't like workaholics. Don't f*cking trust them. Why are they working? I don't trust busy c*nts. That's how wars start: busy f*ckers.

Reply #1499
The word "nonce" when used to describe a sexual deviant comes from a prison abbreviation of Not On Normal Courtyard Exercise, meaning that the inmate was not allowed to mingle with general population for fear of reprisals.

Aren't those sort[1] of acronyms always made up and reverse engineered? For a start, why would the exercise yard in a prison be called a "courtyard"?

It's surely derived from (the same source as?) nonsense. (Or I may have been overly influenced by Brass Eye.)

f*ck = for unlawful carnal knowledge being another