Skip to main content
Topic: That football thing (Read 2439 times) previous topic - next topic

That football thing

..which we sometimes talk about on here.

Recent form is a bit worrying isn't it? Too many draws; not enough striker action. At this rate we'll only limp into the play offs, and then get swept aside in the first game.

Re: That football thing

Reply #1
Now talkback's back, the winning starts again surely? I can see no other reason for the winning run ending.

In reality, the trajectory was comfortable wins, to scraping wins, to scraping draws, the next logical step is narrow defeats, followed by thumping defeats. Don't think it'll work like that and, if anything, it would be a good thing to drop out of the play-offs now and fight our way back by (say) winning the last three games. The team carrying form into the play-offs (i.e. the one that you'd back to win) starts that form in the next couple of games.

Reply #2
Chicago: not here to save us.
King of the c*nts.

Reply #4

In the outside chance Forest don't f*ck it up, this might be of interest: http://www.football-league.co.uk/play-offs/news/20130410/npower-championship-play-off-dates-confirmed_2293328_3139265

Home leg on the Thursday or Monday please.

Thanks for that. Wanted to know when to book my holiday to ensure we make it.

Reply #5

Thanks for that. Wanted to know when to book my holiday to ensure we make it.

You can still get to the CG from a narrow boat at Trent Lock.

Reply #6
The PL have awarded the contract for Goal Line technology so it should be in use next season.    So it should be at least 2 games into the season before SAF complains it's biased against Man U.

Reply #7

The PL have awarded the contract for Goal Line technology so it should be in use next season.    So it should be at least 2 games into the season before SAF complains it's biased against Man U.

Is it just me that thinks that a huge deal is being made about a fairly insignificant issue?  I mean, they keep citing the Lampard 'goal' against Germany in the last World Cup, but that's not an argument for goal line technology.  It's an argument for linesmen with eyes.

Reply #8

Chicago: not here to save us.

I'm here just a bit late.....  Like my period.

Chicago: A bit slow
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #9

Is it just me that thinks that a huge deal is being made about a fairly insignificant issue?  I mean, they keep citing the Lampard 'goal' against Germany in the last World Cup, but that's not an argument for goal line technology.  It's an argument for linesmen with eyes.

As much as I thought it might at the time as I was 3 parts and 38 parts drunk if that goal had stood it would of have made sod all diffrence to the actual result. It did not change the game at all. We had 10 minutes of unsutainable charging with the remainder of the game being a constant, inevitable bombardment from the Germans.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #10
I'm intrigued to know how and whether technology would have resolved the non-goal last week when the Southampton goalkeeper's momentum carried him back over the line and he threw the ball out as he fell backwards.

Sky's cameras, even the one on the goalline, couldn't resolve whether all of the ball crossed the line as they just showed a blur of glove, post and ball.

Reply #11
I would have thought if you cover the ball in little sensors it sould be an instant decision if the ball is in or out. They could add to the spectical by the metalwork being lined with LEDs which glow red normally but if the ball crosses the line the whole thing lights up green.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #12
It might hurt to kick a metal ball though. Unless they wore metal boots as well.

Reply #13

I would have thought if you cover the ball in little sensors it sould be an instant decision if the ball is in or out. They could add to the spectical by the metalwork being lined with LEDs which glow red normally but if the ball crosses the line the whole thing lights up green.

Sensors that aren't going to be damaged by being kicked around all afternoon, aren't going to change the behaviour of the ball and work through a goalkeepers hands and gloves and LEDs that aren't going to be damaged if they get hit.

But I like the lighting up green thing. That would convince me.

Reply #14

There were four companies going in for it, the two that had sensors in the ball got thrown out and it went down to the two camera based one.  I didn't see a reasoning.  I can't see how a camera based one will resolve a goal line scramble, Hawkeye requires 7 cameras for the accuracy required by cricket and tennis and in those games you don't generally have lots of bodies around the ball.