Skip to main content
Topic: People get ready, there's a change a coming... (Read 1964 times) previous topic - next topic

People get ready, there's a change a coming...

I'm sick of this forum software, so to celebrate new ownership of the club I'm looking at a new incarnation of the board.

I'm currently working on this, and hoping that I will be able to take all the current member information and posts to the new board.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO is make sure that your email address is one that you have access to, if you want information and to to be able to access the new board under your existing member name.

I've currently run into a problem transferring the board, so the timescale is undefined. It may be soon.

Re: People get ready, there's a change a coming...

Reply #1
Exciting

Reply #3
Does this mean we lose existing threads and stuff?
Meet the New c*nts.

Same as the Old c*nts.

Reply #4
The plan is to not lose threads and stuff. Everything does break everytime this stuff happens. Jim clearly likes a new pop-up forum.

In case you are interested, I'm currently working on a move to Elkarte, which is a fork of SMF with more features, and faster development (but not without it's problems). It is a bit more up to date, and should work better mobile and across platforms, be more upgradeable, and hopefully be a bit more compllaint with modern standards.

The ultimate aim is to move to flarum, when it's done.

Reply #5
Obviously, as a Nottingham lad i am thrilled to be offered an extension of my terms. However, the next move that i make must be the right one for me and i don't want to rush into things. Talkback will always have a special place in my heart. If there are any questions, please talk to my agent.

Reply #6
Get ready for Tricky to pull out at the last minute, claiming that this is not the right move for the future of Talkback.  I won't be confident until it's done.

Reply #7
I'm Graham's agent. He's f*cking desperate, will sign up to anything. With a smile if you promise to vote for Corbyn.

Reply #8
Will we all need to do an eye test?

Reply #9
And on a more serious note, if the new board requires some funding, tell us.

Reply #10
Interesting. Did you look at SMF 2.1 or did you just decide to go in a different direction?

Let me know how it goes. I don't think you have any custom skins installed, do you? Do you know if a custom skin in SMF can be ported to Elkarte?
Outside it's 1933, so I'm hitting the bar

Reply #11

Interesting. Did you look at SMF 2.1 or did you just decide to go in a different direction?

Let me know how it goes. I don't think you have any custom skins installed, do you? Do you know if a custom skin in SMF can be ported to Elkarte?

Elkarte is a fork of SMF. Documentation is thin on the ground (and shoddy), but the functionality and pace of development is a significant improvement on the glacial development of SMF.  In a modern context SMF is out of date, or still subject to the vagaries of beta software for an undefined period, neither a great choice for an administrator. Elkarte works, has the functions and add-ons that you might need, and there are some themes for it (and theme customisation is easier/more modular/better thought out than in SMF). Having said that, there are few current themes, and I would only recommend those by "spuds"...but....enough.

I wouldn't recommend re-writing a smf theme for an elkarte one...but an elkarte theme should be easier to re-write for your purposes.

I'm sick of battling with SMF and keeping it updated (which is problematic for me here). I do very much want to move to a more modern cross platform, simple forum format, that doesn't impose so many style/theme issues (which causes problems going from desktop-tablet-phone)...and given the almost unique low resource footprint of flarum, that will be where we end up.  I like the tags and the more modern indexing and search approach, rather than the theme/board/topics/posts model.

Reply #12
Is this the new place? It looks very much like the old place. I like it. Well done tricky!

Reply #13
Rebuilding our theme might be problematic, our CSS guy isn't around much any more. I might have little choice but to go 2.1 and hope it's OK.

And I echo jp's post regarding funding.
Outside it's 1933, so I'm hitting the bar

Reply #14
Thirded.  As long as we get to keep the giggle theme. And the stars / squares.
Meet the New c*nts.

Same as the Old c*nts.