Skip to main content
Topic: Beer and wine thread (Read 5108 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Beer thread

Reply #30
I guess. I just really wouldn't consider DoomBar in the category.

Reply #31
It's not a bad beer.  It's now made by the biggest brewer in the world, most of whose other products are utter piss.

Reply #32
Which is the point. I'm sure there are many beers which would be recognised as craft beer by everyone but are crap. The only distinction I'm interested in is between good beers and bad ones.

Reply #33

It's not a bad beer.  It's now made by the biggest brewer in the world, most of whose other products are utter piss.

It always amuses me how ale drinkers are such experts on what does and doesn't taste like piss, there is only one conceivable way that such a talent can be honed.

And anyway, what beer you c*nts drink on holiday when you go to countries who don't think the height of sophistication is some warm mildew made in a shed? I.e. basically every other country, ever.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.

Reply #34

The big boys have been on a large buying spree as they are losing share to craft brewerys.
2 London breweries Jim mentioned for example, Camden is owned by AB inbev & Meantime by Sab Miller.

Reply #35
What's the difference between a craft beer and a real ale anyway?

Reply #38
It's noticeable that now people are willing to pay £4 for a coke-sized can of "craft beer", Marks and Spencer are stocking it in a big way.

Reply #39

It's noticeable that now people are willing to pay £4 for a coke-sized can of "craft beer", Marks and Spencer are stocking it in a big way.

I have funny ideas about this too.

Generally the more picky you are about your beer, the less you actually drink. CAMRA types who endlessly proselytise them 'unique' beers are generally only to be seen in the pub having a crafty half on the once a month jazz night. So to sell beer to hipsters, and others, you need to market it at a price that recovers a return on low volume.

Those of us who actually drink beer just make the best of the choice available at the pub that we find ourselves in at the time. Such 'ordinary' beers can be adequately splendid, and good value in volume. Mines a light hoppy session beer, please.

Reply #40
And a pint of Harvest Pale for me too.

Reply #41
An excellent choice, sir.  I'm also happy to keep the Hatherwood Golden Goose, at 89p a bottle, in the store cupboard for a rainy day.

If it makes jim feel better it says "craft beer" on the label.

Reply #42

The big boys have been on a large buying spree as they are losing share to craft brewerys.
2 London breweries Jim mentioned for example, Camden is owned by AB inbev & Meantime by Sab Miller.

Aye. I never liked Camden anyway, and Meantime wasn't too my taste. I liked the blokes who brewed in the old Youngs brewery in Wandsworth once Youngs left it. Are they still doing that?

Meanwhile, everyone's (or Jim's) favourite purveyors of marketing over substance, the two blokes who run Brewdog (and their overpriced cans of excessively hoppy beer) have just sold a stake in their company to an investment fund and made themselves £200M in the process, the press tells me.

Reply #43

Yup, and Brewdog were the first offenders, but loads of other are jumping on it.

Reply #44

What's the difference between a craft beer and a real ale anyway?

My brewing friend tells me that originally a 'craft' brewery was one that had a very low capacity - I can't remember what exactly, but it was something like in the 100s of pints per batch. But now it is just the beer equivalent of 'artisan'.