Skip to main content
Topic: Things I can't say on Facebook (Read 16399 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Things I can't say on Facebook

Reply #30

I sort of agree with Sean here. My kids are all grown up now, two of them with kids of their own, and they are way more indulgent of their kids than we were when they were little. I wouldn't ever want to go back to the 'children should be seen and not heard' days, which is what it was like when I was a kid, when it was pretty much impossible to find a restaurant that would even allow kids through the front door. Many hotels back then would offer a high tea for children at about 5pm, after which they were not welcome in any of the public rooms. Even 20 years ago it was frowned upon to take a child into a restaurant after about 6pm.  This won't be a popular view among many with small children, but... I do think that as a society we have now become too child-centric (even child-obsessed). Too many parents believe that the world revolves around their kids and have no regard for anybody else. I often hear people say things like "well, if the kids are happy that's the main thing". No it f*cking well isn't.

I have perhaps too many children and I like to take them out to eat at decent places. but they should shut the f*ck up and understand the world doesn't revolve around them otherwise they don't come out and exist on toast.

Reply #31
Always had my kid involved in whatever we did. For which i make no apology. If she was in an adult setting she was expected to behave to adult standards though.

Those of you who have met her can probably attest to her being comfortably the most grown up in the house. Even though she's not there any more.

Reply #32

Always had my kid involved in whatever we did. For which i make no apology. If she was in an adult setting she was expected to behave to adult standards though.

That's what we do, too.

Reply #33
Yes and if they don't behave to those standards, you as the parent have the power to remove them until they do. If our kids wanted to act the tw@t, they could act the tw@t round the back by the bins in the rain.

Reply #34
Reading all this made me google 'dadsnet'. It seems there is such a thing, a spin-off from Sean's favourite Mumsnet.

One of the top threads?
Weekly photo of Nikola Tesla.
Everyone's favourite Serbian inventor. Let's start with a classic.

Reply #35

Summing up, the world's full of c*nts and some of them are parents too.

Yes. And some if them are so f*cking myopic about their offspring the world around no longer exists. Until you express the slightest hint of distain or annoyance with have your personal space infringed upon while trying to quietly enjoy a coffee and then you might as well be Hitler. Because you don't have kids, see. You monstrous scum.
Meet the New c*nts.

Same as the Old c*nts.

Reply #36
Also dog owners. Sheeesh.

Having said that we have 4 kids and a dog.

Reply #37

That's what we do, too.

Me too. Our three year old has been coming to cafes (frequently) and restaurants (much less frequently) since she was weeks old. She's now three and very used to sitting down with us and eating.

We're lucky that she loves books and colouring, etc, so entertaining her quietly while we wait has never been a problem. However, the rules are very simple. If she starts acting up, we'll leave immediately - regardless of whether she's started on her babychino and cake. Eating out is a treat which will be taken away if she can't behave herself.

I concur wholeheartedly about disruptive kids. We met some friends and their two boys (then two and four) for breakfast at a place nextdoor to their hotel last year and it was difficult because they let them get down from their seats while they waited for their food and wander/run about, and our daughter (then two) didn't understand why she couldn't go too. Fortunately there were a lot of other families in the dining room, but I felt very conscious of sans-brats couples who simply wanted a quiet start to the day.

Reply #40
I see. I think I'll just hate the word for a little bit longer, if that's ok?

Reply #42
Thanks very much.

Reply #44
Wow. Am impressed by the grown-up parenting practices on show here. I was worried that you'd all be c*ntish parents, a bit like BrettWilliams' mates.