Skip to main content
Topic: Mundane Medical Thread (Read 121235 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Mundane Medical Thread

Reply #1770
Total and utter mental exhaustion. Since May 8th, I think I've worked around 100 hours and I'm completely and totally kaput. A period of work so intense that one minute it's nine am, and the next time you look it's midnight. Finished at 3am this morning, woke up at 8 and back on calls from 2 until 7.

The only upside is the building bank balance as I have hardly had  time to breathe let alone spend money. There is light at the end of an intense tunnel.

You know it’s funny.  For the past 16 years I have
Slaved like a dog.  Insane hours.  Very demanding clients.  A ownership that doesn’t really appreciate me even though I bring in at least a third of all income and all of a sudden nothing .  I thought I would freak out and get depressed but I didn’t and this period of numbness where I was so tired that I felt nothing has gone away.  I feel
Well.  I feel... things.  Christ I even feel my orgasms.  Yes money is tighter.  Much tighter but even though there is clammer from my clients to begin soon I actually feel
Anxious about it.  My wife and I have never gotten along better and it’s just...nice.   So when you can try and get some time off.  It will be weird to start with but sleep will be most welcome and you will feel an urge not to drink caffeine to keep going and alcohol to calm down.  (Or in your case less milk...)

And you will feel things..  As in your nerve fibers.  I had forgotten that things work when you are not totally exhausted.  Not feeling numb is alright.

Chicago: Two weeks until the return to oblivion.
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #1771
I have found more satisfaction and self worth from my warehouse work these past 8 weeks, than the last 5 years in IT. Unfortunatly it pays about 70% less. Even with the financial dificulties i am not sure i want to go back.

Reply #1772
Altough today when i stacked a tray containing organic pork loins and i realised that they sell for my days wages, that was a downer. Especially when i sorted over 2000 trays today.

Reply #1773
It's the nature of the work that I do; I have periods of months of intensive work (I've billed for pretty much forty days straight). At the end of it, I take six weeks out just to do f*ck all. It's highly paid work in intense bursts, but f*cking difficult. With this whole viral bollocks going on it's near killing me. In two months time I'm hoping to be sitting on top of a pile of cash looking for somewhere to spend it.

Reply #1774
I've been working at least on average 50 hours a week for the last 10 years. This has continued (probably gone up) during lockdown .

Working from home, without the staff issues, has made me determined that something has to change. We have had 5 people on furlough and not noticed too much of a drop off. At least two of those people need to go, or be more productive,  plus maybe 1 or 2 of the directors.

I am tired of working hard without others doing their fair share.

My long knife is out...

Reply #1775
I'm in the fortunate position that I've been able to continue working normally and with nothing to spend money on the bank balance is looking quite healthy. Luckily my step-daughter has stepped in and decided to split up with boyfriend a month after signing a one year contract on a flat that she now needs to be bought out of. Easy come easy go.

Reply #1776
I've been working at least on average 50 hours a week for the last 10 years. This has continued (probably gone up) during lockdown .

Working from home, without the staff issues, has made me determined that something has to change. We have had 5 people on furlough and not noticed too much of a drop off. At least two of those people need to go, or be more productive,  plus maybe 1 or 2 of the directors.

I am tired of working hard without others doing their fair share.

My long knife is out...

I wonder how many will lose their jobs as their employer realises they don’t really need them?

Quite a lot I imagine.

Reply #1777
I think that's very true, I've spoken to quite a few who are finding similar.

Part of it is we have a different way of working now so people aren't needed in the same way, who knows if we will largely go back to the way we were? A further part is having to do without has shown that people were just job filling,  with a side of people working harder because they are worried about their jobs.

The challenge is to keep that motivation,  just not (solely) based on concern for their job.

Reply #1778
I wonder how many will lose their jobs as their employer realises they don’t really need them?

Quite a lot I imagine.

I think from a very small firm perspective staff are both your biggest asset but also by far your biggest stress. I imagine a lot will have taken and stock and thought f*ck this dream chasing, I want a quieter life.
It's bacterial. It's a virus. It's Russian.

Reply #1779
I agree with Jeff, staff are by far the biggest hassle, most are fine, but the odd trouble maker can ruin the whole atmosphere and cause so much trouble.

Reply #1780
After proclaiming to Mrs KM on Thursday that I would not be working this weekend, I find myself once again working. I should probably not proclaim I will not be working next weekend.

Reply #1781
I'm a member of a patient group on Facebook for one of my weird ailments. Someone has posted a message asking about tremors and there is a reply containing the following:
I mostly read up on "natural" remedies and have fun trying different foods. I find pickles help with jerking, OJ and walnuts calm me - and more. Try it.

I'm not sure that I have a lot of confidence in natural remedies, but I think I'm going to try the pickle thing.

Reply #1782
Is it ok to suggest you need Kevin Bacon, in a pick up with a slack jawed yokel, to sort them out?
It's bacterial. It's a virus. It's Russian.

Reply #1783
We have similarly taken a look at the business, judiciously furloiughed and made a couple redundant. Not having an office in anyway and not even thinking about getting one till October earliest made the discussion about the office manager role quite short. And it did make us look at those who havent necessarily pulled their weight for a while. On the other hand, we have recruited in one role because there is some talent around now and we are recruiting for two more. We also took all the cheap cash and might go and buy a business with it. There's opportunity in this sad situation.

Reply #1784
... There's opportunity in this sad situation.

Business is, at it's best, spotting opportunity, and innovating/investing around that. Standing or falling, on the basis of judgement and execution. Nothing wrong with that, it was always the case, and should always be.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.