Skip to main content
Topic: Them there t'other clubs (Read 856142 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Them there t'other clubs

Reply #12841
It's fashionable to say that Norwich are sh!t...and relatively they are, compared to the level - and a big problem is mentality and confidence.

Bollocks to that, I personally would be happy for them to end up National League South.. as long as they gain 13 points this season… f*cking inbred sparrows

Reply #12843
He's a big lad, but this is nuts. One shove in the back on the way down the stairs and he wouldn't have got up from the floor. You could see the stewards understandably worried that if it kicked off there would have been nothing they could do.

Reply #12844
Joey Barton's got himself in trouble again.

"Barton had told reporters after that 3-1 loss: “Someone gets in and does well but then gets suspended or injured. Someone gets in for a game, does well but then has a Holocaust, a nightmare, an absolute disaster.”"

He then said "“I’m just going to say there were some comments made after the press conference last week where clearly no offence was meant, but some people have rightly pointed out to me the use of the analogy was not correct.”"

I don't believe he was trying to equate the performance of a player to the attempted genocide of the jewish population of Europe. What's happened here is that he's not the erudite, thinking football man he supposes. If he was, he would never have strayed into wildly inappropriate hyperbole, like a teenager might do. But no, he's struggling for some sort of metaphor, and he comes out with the most clunkingly inappropriate comparisons his childish brain could muster (nothing in football is a disaster, or a nightmare, let alone a Holocaust). He doesn't need to be sacked, or cancelled: he needs to educate himself about mature and effective use of language in communication, without resorting to terrible cliché or risible exaggeration. Say less, Joey; take your time over what you say, and think carefully before you say it. If you do that, it's easy. And you don't come across like a bellend.

Reply #12846
Hasn't jingoistic outrage at us being sold off, to foreign wealthy interests, kind of missed it's moment?
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #12847
Hasn't jingoistic outrage at us being sold off, to foreign wealthy interests, kind of missed it's moment?

I was referring more to their specific dislike of anything to do with Turkey.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #12848
Christmas is hell. Spare a thought for yukshure this year. Although the tories destruction of the supply chain might just pull it out of the bag for them.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #12849
"Barton had told reporters after that 3-1 loss: “Someone gets in and does well but then gets suspended or injured. Someone gets in for a game, does well but then has a Holocaust, a nightmare, an absolute disaster.”"

I'm decidedly *not* defending Barton's wild hyperbole, but the word "holocaust" had a meaning before 1945, representing the deaths of a large number of people. So it's still maddeningly dumb and poor, but it's a choice to use the capital "H" to specifically represent the Shoah.

Reply #12850
In spoken words later recorded in text, who knows whether Barton or those who reported it appreciate the subtle but vital distinction ?

(I bet they don't.)

Reply #12851
In spoken words later recorded in text, who knows whether Barton or those who reported it appreciate the subtle but vital distinction ?

(I bet they don't.)

Even if he knew there could be a difference, I doubt he meant the archaic definition.

Reply #12853
Disgraceful.

I seem to recall a certain member of Talkback who many years ago was giving consideration to hiring a d*rby fan who had applied for a job working for them, purely for the satisfaction of immediately firing them. To spare his blushes I won't name him, I'll leave it to Muswell to own up if he wants to.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #12854
I think whoever it was actually discussed it on here, because I remember that. 

Although it might have been RichB that time.