Skip to main content
Topic: The managerial merry-go-round (Read 244946 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The managerial merry-go-round

Reply #2940
You reckon? I could see it going either way... mercenary who doesn’t give a f*ck, or student and lover of the game who believes in the importance of it’s history and institutions. I do kinda err towards the latter... that feels on brand.

The second hand story I have from an impeccable source (RD, formerly of these parts) is that Mourinho is very much the latter, in which he demonstrated himself to be an absolutely class in a football situation away from the bright lights. I'm sure I can tell the story if anyone cares, but it's basically related to the way he treated a lower league club who got drawn away at Chelsea in the Cup a number of years ago. Maybe he's changed since then, but hearing it has made me always have a soft spot for him.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #2941
I would err to the latter too partly for cynical reasons, he was going to be sacked anyway. This way he can gain reputational advantage from it.

Reply #2942
I can well believe that JM is great company, charming, funny etc. You can see that in him. I can also believe that he treats people of lower status very well.

If you think that a Mourihno who was still in demand as a manager wouldn't take up a job offer from Man City or Arsenal or Barcelona just because they were in the Super League, I've got news for you.

Reply #2943
There are a lot of happily retired players and managers who are happy they get to say how awful this will be without worrying about the fact that they 100% would have been a part of it.

We can speculate about Jose.. but maybe there is a difference between being opposed to something happening and then getting on board once it has happened. See, for example, literally everyone involved in ManYoo when the Glazers arrived.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #2944
The second hand story I have from an impeccable source (RD, formerly of these parts) is that Mourinho is very much the latter, in which he demonstrated himself to be an absolutely class in a football situation away from the bright lights. I'm sure I can tell the story if anyone cares, but it's basically related to the way he treated a lower league club who got drawn away at Chelsea in the Cup a number of years ago. Maybe he's changed since then, but hearing it has made me always have a soft spot for him.

Was the source for this story Luke Shaw, or Dele Ali?
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #2945
Pearson gets a three year contract at Bristol, which is weird, I thought he'd tanked spectacularly there.

Reply #2947
Tricky's favourite Jose Mourinho is the new head coach at Roma.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #2948
Tricky's favourite Jose Mourinho is the new head coach at Roma.

Well done to him for finding yet another club willing to meet his wage demands. 18 months in Rome - sweet.

Reply #2949
He's going to f*ck up fewer England footballers over there, and I will get to hear a lot less about him.

Jobsagoodun. 
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #2950
Congrats on making the play-offs. You're fired.