Skip to main content
Topic: Dry January (Read 2014 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Dry January

Reply #75
Finally sacked up and started back on the treadmill though and that's going OK. Recognise that I'm nearly 50 and I have to be a bit more careful with the moving parts of my body than I used to be, so doing a lot of breaks with walk rests for now until I get used to it again and only running a total of 5K at a time. Will start stretching the distance of both the intervals and the full run as of this weekend, I think. Not drinking definitely helps with the running though.

I'm back on it but due to the aforementioned weight gain I've got a aches, the sort that you think if I push this too much I'll pull something, so taking it steady. I'm hopefully back at parkrun on Saturday so I can lay down a marker for the year. Managed a 27.58 at the weekend but would like it start 24 before too long. The no booze seems to help a lot here too.
I think most of you are the thick dumb tw@ts.

Reply #76
I'm back on it but due to the aforementioned weight gain I've got a aches, the sort that you think if I push this too much I'll pull something, so taking it steady. I'm hopefully back at parkrun on Saturday so I can lay down a marker for the year. Managed a 27.58 at the weekend but would like it start 24 before too long. The no booze seems to help a lot here too.

Yeah, it was -32 outside yesterday. I'm sticking with the treadmill until March at the earliest.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Reply #77
Still drinking, still playing football, in a pointing and shouting fashion. Basically just an old drunk ranting at kids in the park.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #78
In a pub by Euston drinking Coke. Pubs when not drinking beer are sh!t.

Reply #79
In a pub by Euston drinking Coke. Pubs when not drinking beer are sh!t.

Yeah, even if the bars were open here (they aren't because reasons) I wouldn't be going. I'm not ready for that.

Reply #80
Friday evening is definitely the worst bit of Dry January. Knocked off work about 4:30, ran on the treadmill for 45 minutes, had a shower, took the dog for a short walk, came home and unbundled. The temptation at that point to go and dig a can of stout out of the pantry was brutal and it took a reasonable amount of willpower to not do it. Wife didn't help either by saying "go on, you've done really well, it's Friday night, you deserve it".

Reply #81
Agreed. Was missing part of the routine last night. Up, on it and off to parkrun this morning though.

Reply #82
Got to miss it this morning, taking Miss Shady to meet her friend in North London for 10am. Bit annoying.

Reply #83
Ran a 28 which is turd for a race. Wish I'd done a Guru now and got sh!tfaced.

Reply #84
The kids are being arseholes. Go to the pub and escape it......noooooooo.

Reply #85
Can't do it. I'm giving in. Will keep Monday to Thursday dry but I can't do a Sunday full of playoff football and no beer.

Reply #86
Clearly you are weak.  You should have no friends like me.  That way you can drink or not drink but not be pressured into doing so.  Had margaritas last night.  Aperol spritzers tonight.  Then vaccination  week I will probably be white knuckling it so it could go either way.

Chicago: hardly dry.
If running is bad for your knees try hanging out with Russ and Tricky for a night.

Reply #87
Clearly you are weak.  You should have no friends like me.  That way you can drink or not drink but not be pressured into doing so.  Had margaritas last night.  Aperol spritzers tonight.  Then vaccination  week I will probably be white knuckling it so it could go either way.

Chicago: hardly dry.

No one pressured me. I just really wanted a beer.

Am drinking a peanut butter stout, which is delicious.

Reply #88
I'm drinking Xmas lager, to punish myself for buying them.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #89
No one pressured me. I just really wanted a beer.

Am drinking a peanut butter stout, which is delicious.
Half a dry January, which for someone of your statureā€¦

Peanut butter stout sounds ghastly but simultaneously intriguing.