Skip to main content
Topic: What's amusing me today (Read 648480 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What's amusing me today

Reply #8595
The pro Rugby Union Club Exeter calls itself 'Exeter Chiefs' these days. As you might imagine, some see this as problematic - especially when you see the logo. There have been polite calls, for several years, for a rethink.

Enter the club CEO, with an absolute zinger of a 'Club Statement'. It's good to see rugby administrators are as clothed-ear and tin-headed as football ones.

https://www.exeterchiefs.co.uk/news/club-statement-september-22

One wag suggested the new shirt sponsor will be the East India Trading Co.

Reply #8596
Interestingly he refers to it as Exeter Rugby Club throughout though, no mention of the Chiefs. (although he refers to Bristol Bears and Northampton Saints)

Reply #8597
Given Christchurch, a town with a recent mass shooting of Moslems, still has a rugby team called The Crusaders (founded in the 90s, in case you were thinking "tradition"), I'm not sure you can really expect enlightened change in that sport.

Reply #8598
So the EU may finally mandate that all mobile phones should have the same charger, USB-C. Obviously this mainly impacts iPhones as everyone else, pretty much, already has USB-C.

USB-C is a good cable. I’m all for it being on my next iPhone.

The thing is… since the first iPhone was released Apple has used two cables. The old iPod one (an awful cable in itself) and the current lightening one (excellent… it was years before USB had a comparable standard). Everyone else has gone through dozens of them, including every prior USB connector… all of which have been bad.

So well done the regulators. You have entirely failed to understand the process by which we ended up down to two very good cable options and decided to take an indirect shot at the manufacturer who have led the way on both design and sustainability, and chop the legs off whatever progress we might make towards even better options in the future. Thank god you at least waited long enough for the prevalent USB standard to not be sh!t… cos people have been complaining about Apple shunning USB iPhone chargers since, at least, lightening cables were introduced about a decade ago.

(I like to think it’s ok to dislike everything about Apple and still recognise that this is a daft intervention)
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #8599
Of course it's daft. One of the biggest problems is the absence of removable (consumer replaceable) batteries.

A different cable for data or charging is not a significant problem, in comparison.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #8600
That the Carolina Panthers have a Running Back named Chuba Hubbard.

Reply #8601
Of course it's daft. One of the biggest problems is the absence of removable (consumer replaceable) batteries.

A different cable for data or charging is not a significant problem, in comparison.

Would it not compromise the utility of the devices to enforce that though? I recognise the upside.. but what is the cost?

I've always preferred that they force them to provide a properly priced replacement service, and make available all parts and knowledge required to enable 3rd parties to do the same. I don't personally mind that I can't replace my battery myself ... I do mind if I am beholden to Apple, and their profit margins, if I want it replaced by a grown up... albeit last time I looked apple would replace my current phone battery for about fifty quid, which seems ok from the company who sell a $1,000 monitor stand.
this is an excellent rectangle

Reply #8602
Newspaper reporters increasingly have to take their own photos to accompany stories - days of large picture desks at regionals all but gone sadly.

It's odd, therefore, that nobody on the Post's newsdesk has thought to point out to trainees that if they're filing an angry-people-in-local-newspapers yarn, it's better not to have your subjects beaming at the camera.

Reply #8603
Would it not compromise the utility of the devices to enforce that though? I recognise the upside.. but what is the cost?

I've always preferred that they force them to provide a properly priced replacement service, and make available all parts and knowledge required to enable 3rd parties to do the same. I don't personally mind that I can't replace my battery myself ... I do mind if I am beholden to Apple, and their profit margins, if I want it replaced by a grown up... albeit last time I looked apple would replace my current phone battery for about fifty quid, which seems ok from the company who sell a $1,000 monitor stand.

I've never had to replace an iPhone battery, because they just work.

if I did though,  I know I wouldn't be using the services of the Cotgrave Arsonist that's for sure.

Reply #8604

The issue with replacement batteries isn't so much, for me, the cost of replacement. It's the inability to remove the battery if you want to do that. If the phone gets wet, if you want to make sure a phone is not operating, as an ultimate reset. When the battery starts to lose efficacy, I don't want to have to make do with that, and have to make a decision about when to send it off. I just want to buy another battery and use it at my convenience.

Why is everything about money with you people?

And no, you can design phones that work perfectly well, in essentially the same form factor, with removable batteries.
I'm a fcuking idiot. Clearly.

Reply #8608
I swear you lot and the Americans are locked in a race to prove that you can be more stupid than each other.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-d*rbyshire-58721650

Brilliant. That petrol station is just up the road from us and there were idiots queuing outside on Saturday morning when I drove past with Little Miss BW for her swimming lesson.

Indeed, we very nearly had a nasty accident a couple of hundred yards from the forecourt where the picture was taken. It's a single-lane 60mph road and fortunately everyone was slowing down because of the queue. The driver in front of me, who I presume was after petrol but put off by the likely wait, indicated left into a lay-by only to suddenly swing back across the front of my car, doing a U-turn to head back the way she'd come. I came close to ploughing straight into the driver's door. Gave it plenty of horn but managed to avoid profanity amazingly. Fcuking idiot petrol-w@nkers.